Volume of Object with Diameter 0.184 cm & 0.916 cm, Height 2.33 cm & 13.6 cm

• Thread starter devo24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, you plugged in the values for the hole and the cylinder. You found that the volume of the object is equal to the sum of the volumes of the two components.
devo24
Hello,
I'm very new to physics & I've been stuck on this question, which seems pretty straight forward, for so long that I had to ask you guys :(.

- d, (the diameter of the hole) is 0.184 cm
- D (the diameter of the cylinder) is 0.916 cm
- h (the height of the hole) is 2.33 cm
- H (the height of the cylinder) is 13.6 cm

Using these numbers, find the volume of the object. Round to 3 significant figures.

The formula for volume of a block = L * W * H
The formula for volume of a cylinder is = πr^2h

I'm confused as to how to use these given formulas. Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry to bother you guys about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the description of the object?

What have you tried so far?

Note: do not remove the homework template. Fill-in the required information, in particular the attempt at a solution.

DrClaude said:
What is the description of the object?

What have you tried so far?

Note: do not remove the homework template. Fill-in the required information, in particular the attempt at a solution.

The object is a cylinder.

I tried to fill in the formulas but it makes no sense to me. In the formula L * W * H, I only plugged in 13.6cm for Height. I don't see any a choice for Length or Width which is throwing me off completely.

I apologize for removing homework template, won't happen again next time.

devo24 said:
The object is a cylinder.
It can't be just a cylinder if there is also the description of a hole, no?

devo24 said:
I tried to fill in the formulas but it makes no sense to me. In the formula L * W * H, I only plugged in 13.6cm for Height. I don't see any a choice for Length or Width which is throwing me off completely.
You wrote yourself that this is the equation for the volume of a block. Do you have a block?

DrClaude said:
It can't be just a cylinder if there is also the description of a hole, no?You wrote yourself that this is the equation for the volume of a block. Do you have a block?

Yeah, there's a hole on top of the cylinder. Nope, there's no block. I'm just providing the formulas my teacher gave me to solve this problem. A cylinder with a hole on the top. The height & diameter of the hole is in my original post.

Forgot to mention she also gave us
density of an object = mass / volume

devo24 said:
Hello,
I'm very new to physics & I've been stuck on this question, which seems pretty straight forward, for so long that I had to ask you guys :(.

- d, (the diameter of the hole) is 0.184 cm
- D (the diameter of the cylinder) is 0.916 cm
- h (the height of the hole) is 2.33 cm
- H (the height of the cylinder) is 13.6 cm

Using these numbers, find the volume of the object. Round to 3 significant figures.

The formula for volume of a block = L * W * H
The formula for volume of a cylinder is = πr^2h

I'm confused as to how to use these given formulas. Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry to bother you guys about this.

Where do you see a block? I don't---I see two cylinders: a big one, and a smaller one (removed from the big one).

Ray Vickson said:
Where do you see a block? I don't---I see two cylinders: a big one, and a smaller one (removed from the big one).
I agree, there's no block. I'm going to use the formula v = πr^2h.

I'm getting π(don't know how to compute radius)^2(13.6). I got to fill out the radius but I don't know how to compute it.

Am I on the right track?

devo24 said:
I got to fill out the radius but I don't know how to compute it.
Do you know how diameter is related to radius?

RUber said:
Do you know how diameter is related to radius?

I don't :(. I'm very new to all of this.

Was I right about being on the right track on my previous post?

Yes. It appears you have a solid cylinder that is missing a smaller cylinder from its center.
So to find the volume of the object, you should need to compute both volumes.
A radius is defined to be 1/2 the diameter of a circle.

RUber said:
Yes. It appears you have a solid cylinder that is missing a smaller cylinder from its center.
So to find the volume of the object, you should need to compute both volumes.
A radius is defined to be 1/2 the diameter of a circle.

Oh ok.
For the holes, I'm going to do π(.092)^2(2.33)

For the cylinder, I'm going to do π(.458)^2(13.6)

If I'm correct, do I add the two products together to get the final answer?

Last edited:
devo24 said:
Oh ok.
For the holes, I'm going to do π(.092)^2(2.33)

For the cylinder, I'm going to do π(.458)^2(13.6)

If I'm correct, do I add the two products together to get the final answer?
Does that make sense? If you remove part of a cylinder, does the resulting cylinder have a greater volume than the one without a hole in it?

Mark44 said:
Does that make sense? If you remove part of a cylinder, does the resulting cylinder have a greater volume than the one without a hole in it?

It doesn't make sense, you're right. I'm lost as hell, I've tried everything I could. I know this is a very simple question but I just can't seem to figure it out.

devo24 said:
It doesn't make sense, you're right. I'm lost as hell, I've tried everything I could. I know this is a very simple question but I just can't seem to figure it out.
If you remove some of the volume of the larger cylinder, will the volume of what remains be a) larger, b) smaller, c) the same?

@devo24 Hopefully after a night of rest this makes sense. Draw a picture and imagine what you are actually calculating. The volume for the larger cylinder is for a solid cylinder. The smaller volume is the volume of empty space within that larger cylinder (which is not part of the total volume of the solid).
Your equations are correct. You have done all the work, now put it together.

1. How do you calculate the volume of an object with a diameter of 0.184 cm and a height of 2.33 cm?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = πr²h, where r is the radius (half of the diameter) and h is the height. In this case, the radius would be 0.092 cm. Plugging in these values, the volume would be approximately 0.0127 cm³.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of this object?

The unit of measurement for volume can vary, but in this case, it would be cubic centimeters (cm³).

3. How do you calculate the volume of an object with a diameter of 0.916 cm and a height of 13.6 cm?

Using the same formula as before, the volume of this cylinder would be approximately 12.80 cm³.

4. Can the volume of an object change if its diameter and height are both doubled?

Yes, the volume would also be doubled. This is because the volume formula includes both the diameter (or radius) and the height, so changing either of these values will affect the overall volume.

5. How can the volume of an object with a diameter of 0.184 cm and a height of 2.33 cm be measured in the real world?

To measure the volume of a real-world object, you would need to use a measuring tool such as a ruler or caliper to determine the diameter and height. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the volume.