1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of observable universe

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    This question seems simple but I cannot recall the formula to solve it. I hope someone can help me:

If the age of the universe is 1.4E10 years, estimate the volume of the observable universe?:confused:

Urgent help required.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2

Maybe you don't need formula. Think for yourself. That's for what physics exist. If the age of the universe was one year, ...
  4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    Maybe not. But how else am I supposed to work this out? Do I need to know the rate at which the Universe expands??
  5. Nov 25, 2006 #4
    errrm. Can someone please be a little more helpful than that?? Please??
  6. Nov 25, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

I think the keyword might be observable.
  7. Nov 25, 2006 #6
    Ok. I gave it a little thought and worked it out. The volume of the obserbavle universie is 9.73E78 m^3.

But the question carries on. It goes:

A beach is 1km long, 10m across, and 1m deep. One sand grain occupies 1cubic mm. which is the larger number:

The number of stars in the observable universe or the number of grains of sand on the beach?

What about the number of galaxies compared to the number of sand grains?

I worked out the number of sand garins which is 10E13. How do I calculate the number of stars or galaxies??
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  8. Nov 25, 2006 #7
    Someone Please Offer Some Advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Nov 29, 2009 #8
    like, do we assume the universe is a sphere or do we assume its flat?
  10. Nov 29, 2009 #9
    apparently its flat, but then how do u calculate the volume?
  11. Feb 14, 2011 #10
    Well, even if its flat and based on acceleration, we can assume it is like a cylinder only with a torus edge, or if the dark energy accelerate proportionality into a sphere that would be alot easier then trying to calculate the volume based on a half cylinder and half torus universe..... sorry, i'm a noob here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?