1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of pool acid

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    You have just built a swimming pool that has the dimensions of 7.5m in length and is 5 metres in width.
    When filled with water the depth of the pool os exactly 1.5metres.
    The lable on the 5 litre pool acid bottle indicates that this has a conc of 33.0g/100ml of HCl. Makin the assumption that the initial volume of pool water had a pH of 7 calculate the volume of pool acid you would need to add to the pool to bring the pH of the pool water to a value of 4.

This is wat I did, noting that I am a shocker at anything to do with pH, which is y I am trying to work out this qu b4 exams on mon!

Volume of the pool=52.5m^3=52500L

I sed that pH=pKa-[H30+]
    7= 4-log[H30+]
    [H30+]=0.001
    then I sed that v=n/c

This is the dodgey thing that I did, I sed that in 1L there was 330g
    Then n=330/36.453= 9.052mol

V= 9.052/0.001=9052
    Then what? is that right? I feel as though I have done something wrong
    If you have any idea of wat to do next or how to help agen I would be much appreciative.
    And also just a general way or process of steps to solving pH problems I would also be appreciative

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's the general outline for solving this problem,

The total volume of the pool as the acid solution is added is Vi+Vacid.

The final desired pH of 4 has an hydronium acid concentration associated with it, use pH=-log[H3O+].

[H3O+]=moles of HCl/(Vi+Vacid), however moles of HCl is Vacid(the molarity of the acid solution)

Thus what you need to solve for finally is

[H3O+]=Vacid(Macid)/(Vi+Vacid), all are constants except Vacid, solve for Vacid through algebraic manipulation. Have fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?