Volume of region between two functions?

In summary: If you're not familiar with slices, they are just a way to visualize the regions between two functions. Imagine cutting a slice through the region between z1 and z2, and then joining the ends of the slice to form a rectangle. The rectangle will be the bounds of the volume that is created by the two functions.In summary, Leo is confusing the integration of two one-dimensional functions with the visualization of a three-dimensional region between two functions.
Khan86
The two functions are z=2x^2-4 and z=4-2y^2, and I'm supposed to find the volume between the two by integrating two ways: one with respect to z first, and the other with respect to z last (x and y don't have a set order).

When integrating with respect to z first, I had the limits such that z ranged from 2x^2-4 to 4-2y^2, and since x and y only depend on z and z has been covered already, I thought that x and y both ranged from -2 to 2.

When I integrated with respect to z last, I had x range from -(z/2+2)^1/2 to (z/2+2)^1/2 and y range from -(2-z/2)^1/2 to (2-z/2)^1/2, with z ranging from -4 to 4.

The problem is that I got two different answers, although I feel more confident in my answer from integrating the second way, z last (128/3). Could anyone help me with where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're confusing me.

I don't understand:
You mention two one-dimensional functions, and you ask for the volume rather than area between them.
You write [tex]z=2x^2-4[/tex] as if [tex]z[/tex] is a dependant variable, but then you claim to integrate with respect to [tex]z[/tex].

If you're talking about tbhe volume bounded by [tex]f(x,y)=2x^2-4[/tex] and [tex]g(x,y)=4-2y^2[/tex], I'm not sure that you can use a rectangular bounding region:
If I simplify [tex]2x^2-4=4-2y^2[/tex], I get [tex]x^2+y^2=2^2[/tex] which is a circle of radius 2.

Perhaps you could look into using slices?

I'll try and describe the three dimensional region more clearly.

z1 = 2x^2 - 4 is a parabola in the x-z plane that runs all through the y-axis, if that makes sense. It is a three dimensional surface that happens to be independent of y, so it is the same parabola for all y-values. The same goes for z2 = 4 - 2y^2, except it lies in the y-z plane, meaning that the two functions are perpendicular to each other. The 3d space between z1 and z2 is a volume, bordered on top by z1 and on bottom by z2. The functions aren't two dimensional, they are just independent of the third, making the same two dimensional graph for all values of the third variable not in the equation.

Does that make any more sense? The problem I'm having is finding the bounds for dzdxdy and dxdydz.

Last edited:
In order to find the bounds, make an imagination of how that volume looks in space.

Integration bounds are there where both functions cut into each other, ea, share the same z value for a given x/y point.

Take it from there.

Greetz,
Leo

Khan86 said:
Does that make any more sense? The problem I'm having is finding the bounds for dzdxdy and dxdydz.

I mentioned in my post that the 'shadow' that this region casts into the xy plane is a circle. It's also relatively easy to identify that the z range is [tex](4,-4)[/tex].

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a region between two functions?

The formula for finding the volume of a region between two functions is given by the integral of the difference between the two functions, with respect to the variable of integration.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume of a region between two functions?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the intersection points of the two functions, which will be the points where the two functions are equal. These points will serve as the lower and upper limits of integration.

3. Can the volume of a region between two functions be negative?

No, the volume of a region between two functions cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space between the two functions and is always a positive value.

4. What is the significance of finding the volume of a region between two functions?

Finding the volume of a region between two functions is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the amount of fluid flow or the capacity of a container with irregular shapes.

5. Are there any applications of finding the volume of a region between two functions?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the volume of a region between two functions. For example, it can be used in calculating the volume of an irregularly shaped organ in medical imaging, or in determining the volume of a river for flood control purposes.