Volume of region R between paraboloid and xy-plane

In summary, a double integral will solve the problem, but you'll need to convert to rectangular coordinates in order to do so without any trouble.
stanford1463

Homework Statement

So my question is: what is the volume of the region R between the paraboloid 4-x^2-y^2 and the xy-plane?

Homework Equations

I know how to solve it, it is a triple integral, but how do you find the limits of integration?

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I set x=0, or y=0 to find the limits of integration of the triple integral to find the volume ? or? I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
stanford1463 said:

Homework Statement

So my question is: what is the volume of the region R between the paraboloid 4-x^2-y^2 and the xy-plane?

Homework Equations

I know how to solve it, it is a triple integral, but how do you find the limits of integration?

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I set x=0, or y=0 to find the limits of integration of the triple integral to find the volume ? or? I'm completely lost.

The paraboloid is defined by an equation, but I don't see one in your problem description.

A double integral will do the trick. For the limits of integration think about how this paraboloid intersects the x-y plane. The trace in the x-y plane is a circle, right?

Mark44 said:
The paraboloid is defined by an equation, but I don't see one in your problem description.

A double integral will do the trick. For the limits of integration think about how this paraboloid intersects the x-y plane. The trace in the x-y plane is a circle, right?

Umm, isn't the equation just z=4-x^2-y^2 ?
Ok, thanks, I'll try a double integral, so for the limits, I would just set z=0, right? and solve for x and y?

Ok, for my limits, i got x is between 0 and 2, and y is between 0 and 2...so i did a double integral and got 16/3. Is that right?

stanford1463 said:
Ok, for my limits, i got x is between 0 and 2, and y is between 0 and 2...so i did a double integral and got 16/3. Is that right?
No.
If the region over which you are integrating were a square, with 0 <= x <=2 and 0 <= y <= 2, those would be the limits, but it isn't a square. The region R is a circle whose equation is x^2 + y^2 = 4.

If you divide this region into small squares of area dx * dy, how far up and down (i.e., in the y direction) does a column of squares extend? How far left and right (i.e., in the x direction) do the columns of squares extend? If you can answer these questions correctly, you'll have your limits of integration.

Would it be plus/minus sqrt(4-x^2) ?

stanford1463 said:
Would it be plus/minus sqrt(4-x^2) ?
Close. A given "vertical" stack ranges from y = -sqrt(4 - x^2) to y = +sqrt(4 - x^2). For the second question, the "vertical" stacks range from x = -2 to x = +2.

You might notice that I answered with equations, something I'm trying to make you mindful of.

So now you have your limits of integration. You can make things slightly easier by exploiting the symmetry of your integrand. Because it involves only even powers of x and y, you can reduce your region to just the portion that's in the first quadrant in the x-y plane, introducing a multiplying factor of 4 to correct.

Things get interesting now because you'll need to integrate some terms that involve square roots and such. These are doable, but tedious. You can save yourself some trouble by converting to polar coordinates, with x = r cos(theta), y = r sin(theta), z = z. The limits of integration are especially simple because the region over which you are integrating is a circular disk. Just remember that dx dy in rectangular coordinates becomes r dr d(theta) in polar coordinates.

Alright, I used polar coordinates, i think, I got 8pi.

So did I.

1. What is the volume of region R between a paraboloid and the xy-plane?

The volume of region R between a paraboloid and the xy-plane is the amount of space enclosed by the paraboloid and the xy-plane in three-dimensional space. It can be calculated using the formula V = ∫∫∫ dV, where dV is the infinitesimal volume element and the limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the paraboloid and the xy-plane.

2. How do you find the boundaries for the volume calculation?

The boundaries for the volume calculation can be found by setting the equations for the paraboloid and the xy-plane equal to each other and solving for the variable that represents the limits of integration. This will determine the range of values for that variable that will be used in the triple integral.

3. Can the volume of region R be negative?

No, the volume of region R cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value. If the result of the volume calculation is negative, it means that the boundaries were set up incorrectly and should be adjusted.

4. Is there a specific method for calculating the volume of region R?

Yes, the volume of region R can be calculated using the triple integral method, which involves integrating the infinitesimal volume element over the boundaries of the region. However, there may be other methods, such as using geometric shapes or known formulas, that can also be used to calculate the volume.

5. Can the volume of region R between a paraboloid and the xy-plane be approximated?

Yes, the volume of region R can be approximated using numerical methods, such as Riemann sum or Monte Carlo simulation. These methods use smaller intervals or random sampling to estimate the volume of the region. However, the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the precision of the chosen method and the complexity of the region.