1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Revolution question

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid is generated by revolving the region bounded by y = x2/2 and y = 2 around the y-axis. A hole, centered along the axis of revolution, is drilled through this solid so that one-fourth of the volume is removed. Find the diameter of the hole.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm going with cylindrical shells this time around. I'm integrating from x = 0 to x = 2. I think my height is 2-x and my radii are all going to be generated by the function x2/2. After integration, I get the overall volume is to be 4pi/3. If one quarter of that is taken out after drilling this hole, I have the volume of this figure to be pi. I believe it's a right cylindrical shaped whole, so the volume of a cylinder is pir2h. I need the radius of one of these cross sections so I need some way to relate the volume. Or maybe I don't, this is where I need assistance. Hopefully i'm not over-thinking this. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2
    I believe i've made a mistake on the radius / height. Radius = x and Height = x2/2, after integration I get vt = 4pi so the volume of the cylinder is 3pi.

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, except that the removed core is not exactly a cylinder. What do you get for the diameter of the hole?

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4
    I don't know how to find it, especially since I don't know what the figure of the hole is.

Edit: the diameter seems like it would be 2(y/2)1/2 but that's sort of a shot in the dark.
    Edit: that's wrong, nvm.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. Feb 26, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The height of each shell should be 2 - x2/2 .

Do the same integral but have x go from 0 to a. set that volume to 1/4 the volume without the hole & solve for a .

7. Feb 26, 2013 #6
    I'm getting two answers..2 and 2(21/2)
    and neither are correct.

Should have included this, sorry. My integrand here has been changed to (x)(2-x2/2). When my bounds are [0,a] I get 2pi(a2 - a4/8). When my bounds are [0,2] I get the volume as 4pi. If I set the first part equal to 1/4 of the total volume I get 2pi(a2 -a4/8) = pi and I solve it from there to get that a = 21/2

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. Feb 26, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right
    Wrong.

9. Feb 26, 2013 #8
    thanks, got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted