Volume of Revolution: Finding the Volume of a Solid Revolved Around the Y-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of two functions, 2sin(x) and -sin(x), from 0 to pi revolving around the y-axis. The speaker initially struggles with understanding the geometry of the problem, but eventually realizes that the extra area of -sin(x) should be subtracted because it lies below the x-axis. The conversation also includes additional information and hints for setting up the integrals to find the volume using the washer and shell methods.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Find the volume of 2sin(x) and -sin(x) from 0 to pi revolving around the y-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with the geometry of this problem, 2sin(x) is above the x-axis and -sin(x) is below the x-axis. My belief was that I should be adding on the extra area of -sin(x) because it lies below the x-axis. I don't understand why I should be subtracting in this case. Thanks
edit: the axis of rotation is the y-axis.

there are two parts, the first asks me to show, through differentiation, that the integral of x(sin(x))dx = sin(x) - x(cos(x)) + C. Done. For the second part they say use the result of part (a) to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving each plane region, the area between 2sin(x) and -sin(x), about the y-axis. I said x-axis, sorry my mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of 2sin(x) and -sin(x) from 0 to pi revolving around the x-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with the geometry of this problem, 2sin(x) is above the x-axis and -sin(x) is below the x-axis. My belief was that I should be adding on the extra area of -sin(x) because it lies below the x-axis. I don't understand why I should be subtracting in this case. Thanks
This problem doesn't make a lot of sense.

Please state the whole problem word for word as it was given to you.

post edited

icesalmon said:
post edited
Yes, it makes much more sense for this region to be revolved about the y-axis, rather than about the x-axis .

Also, the extra information is very helpful in regards to performing an integration which will give the volume.

If you set up the integral(s) corresponding each method of finding this volume,
The washer method

The shell method​
you will find the one of these methods is consistent with the given hint (the additional info in your edit).

Start by doing the set-up for each method.
Furthermore, it's helpful to graph the region to be revolved. WolframAlpha gives:
attachment.php?attachmentid=56239&stc=1&d=1362158108.gif

Added in Edit:

As for your question regarding subtracting: You are subtracting a negative quantity.
2sin(x) - ( -sin(x) ) = 2sin(x) + sin(x) = 3sin(x) .​

Attachments

• sin2x-sinx_revolved.gif
    sin2x-sinx_revolved.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
let me ask you this, if you were just doing a plain integral of -sin(x) what area would you shade as the region of integration? The area between the purple curve and the x-axis or everything below that purple curve?

If the question asked you to find the area between the graph of y = -sin(x) and the x-axis, on the interval [0, ##\pi##], it's pretty clear what region you would shade, right? If for some reason you shaded everything below the curve, that would be an infinite area.

The integral to represent the area I described (i.e., between the curve and the x-axis) would be

$$ \int_0^{\pi} 0 - (-sin(x))~dx$$

This would yield a positive number, as areas should be.

got it now, thank you.

What is a volume of revolution question?

A volume of revolution question is a type of problem in mathematics that involves finding the volume of a solid created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a specific axis.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution is V = π∫ab(f(x))^2dx, where π is the constant pi, a and b are the limits of integration, and f(x) is the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the solid at a given point.

What are the common shapes used in volume of revolution questions?

The common shapes used in volume of revolution questions are circles, rectangles, triangles, and semicircles.

How do you solve a volume of revolution question?

To solve a volume of revolution question, you first need to determine the shape of the cross-section of the solid. Then, you can use the formula V = π∫ab(f(x))^2dx to set up and solve the integral for the given limits of integration.

What are some real-world applications of volume of revolution questions?

Volume of revolution questions have many real-world applications, such as finding the volume of a glass or bottle, calculating the displacement of an object, or determining the amount of material needed to create a specific shape in manufacturing processes.