Volume of Revolution: Calculate the Volume

In summary: But when I do this it yields 10pi/3 which is wrong is what's wrong with my answer.Thanks for the help.It looks like you may have misread the problem. The object is to find the volume of a figure when all lines are rotated about an axis. In this case, the lines are the horizontal rectangles and the axis is the y-axis. To find the volume, you first rotate the rectangle (x,y) about the y-axis and then calculate the area of the resulting circle.
Little Dump
Included is my attempt at the following question. I get an answer of 10pi, whereas the right answer is (10pi)/3 from my textbook. Here is the question:

Rotate the triangle described by (-1,0),(0,1),(1,0) around the axis x=2 and calculate the volume of the solid.

I basically changed the problem to the following and continued as it is the same

Rotate the triangle described by (1,0),(2,1),(3,0) around the y-axis and calculate the volume of the solid

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• calcq.jpg
    calcq.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
It is so small to understand the pic u quoted so I'm giving u my solution

I hope u will take it from here

http://in.geocities.com/mathsforjee/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite understand it and I don't understand why mines wrong :(

I'll keep trying to figure it out.

You may not have had it yet but this looks like an exercise in using Pappus' theorem: the volume of a solid of revolution is the area of a cross section times the circumference of the circle generated by the centroid of that cross section.

In this case, the cross section is a triangle with base of length 2 and height 1: area= (1/2)(2)(1)= 1.
The centroid (for a triangle only) is the "average" of the vertices:
((-1+0+1)//3,(0+1+0)/3)= (0, 1/3). The distance from (0, 1/3) to the line x= 2 is 2- 1/3= 5/3. The centroid "travels in" (generates) a circle of radius 5/3 and so circumference (10/3)pi.

The volume of the figure is (1)(10/3)pi= (10/3)pi.

You may not have had it yet but this looks like an exercise in using Pappus' theorem: the volume of a solid of revolution is the area of a cross section times the circumference of the circle generated by the centroid of that cross section.

Is this true for all kind of figure I never came across that theorem is there any link where i can go for reference

Pappus' theorem is true of any "solid of revolution". You should be able to find it in any calculus textbook (that includes multiple integrals.)

I haven't learned that theorem so I don't really think I should use it.

I'm trying to use horizontal rectangles for my area so I formulated the following integral which is how I was taught how to do questions like this.

[tex]
\int \pi r_o^2 - \pi r_i^2 dr
[/tex]

where

[tex]r_o=(-y+3)[/tex]
[tex]r_i=(y+1)[/tex]

and the limits of integration are from y=0 to y=1

so we have this

[tex]
\int_0^1 \pi (-y+3)^2 - \pi (y+1)^2 dy
[/tex]

it makes perfect sense to me but then once you work it out you get 10 pi. which is wrong

So can someone point out what I did wrong and how to fix it so I don't do it again.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Little Dump
I haven't learned that theorem so I don't really think I should use it.

I'm trying to use horizontal rectangles for my area so I formulated the following integral which is how I was taught how to do questions like this.

[tex]
\int_0^1 \pi r_o^2 - \pi r_i^2
[/tex]

fjsjf

Here is the general formula

http://in.geocities.com/mathsforjee/GM.html

Last edited by a moderator:
does mine not make sense for some reason

i am calculating the area of the circle when the farthest line is rotated and then subtracting the area of the circle when the closest line is rotated

Yes it do makes sense don't you have gone to the previous post.

Thats what u have to do and its general too

Your way do make sense

does mine not make sense for some reason

i am calculating the area of the circle when the farthest line is rotated and then subtracting the area of the circle when the closest line is rotated

When you rotate a point about a line u get a circle

Not

When you rotate a line

It would be somewhat like a truncated cone

but i get the wrong answer so can you point out what's wrong with my formulation?

keep in mind i moved the triangle to (1,0),(2,1),(3,0) because its the same problem correct?

When you rotate a point about a line u get a circle

Not

When you rotate a line

It would be somewhat like a truncated cone

I'm rotating horizontal rectangles around the y-axis therefore each rectangle will make a circle

I'm rotating horizontal rectangles around the y-axis therefore each rectangle will make a circle

Ok It would form rings as of saturn

U can also do it analytically With no integration

I still want to know what's wrong with this answer because it does not yield 10pi/3

[tex]\int_0^1 \pi (-y+3)^2 - \pi (y+1)^2 dy[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution is calculated by using the formula V = π∫ba (f(x))2dx, where a and b represent the limits of integration and f(x) is the function being rotated around the axis of revolution.

2. What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method for calculating volume of revolution?

The disk method involves slicing the solid into circular cross-sections and calculating the volume of each disk, while the shell method involves slicing the solid into cylindrical shells and calculating the volume of each shell. Both methods can be used to calculate the volume, but the choice depends on the shape of the solid and the ease of integration.

3. Can the volume of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of revolution is always a positive value since it represents the amount of space occupied by the solid being rotated.

4. What is the unit of measurement for volume of revolution?

The unit of measurement for volume of revolution depends on the units used for the function being rotated. For example, if the function is in meters, then the volume will be in cubic meters.

5. Is there any software or tools available for calculating volume of revolution?

Yes, there are various software and online tools available that can help with calculating the volume of revolution. Some popular ones include Wolfram Alpha, Desmos, and GeoGebra.