1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of rotation, y-axis

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello!

English is not my native language so I hope the terminology is right.

Q:
    Find the volume generated by the curve y=1/x+2, positive x- and y-axis and the line x=1.
    Calculate the volume obtained by rotation around the:
    a) x-axis
    b) y-axis

2. Relevant equations
    The text book use this one:
    [tex]Vx= \pi \int_{a}^{b}(f(x))^{2} dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I got this one right:

[tex]Vx = \pi \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{(x+2)^{2}} dy= \pi \left[ -\frac{1}{x+2} \right]= \pi(\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{2}) = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

b) I can't get this straight and I'm not sure about the upper-/lower-limits:

[tex] y(1)= \frac{1}{1+2}=\frac{1}{3}\\y(0)=\frac{1}{0+2}=\frac{1}{2}.[/tex]

X as a function of y:

[tex]x(y)=\frac{1}{y}-2[/tex]

We have:

[tex]x(y)=\frac{1}{y}-2\\Vy = \pi \int_{1/2}^{1/3}(\frac{1}{y}-2)^{2} dy = 4\pi \left[y-\frac{1}{4y}-lny \right] = 4\pi ((\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}-ln\frac{1}{2}) - (\frac{1}{3}-\frac{3}{4}-ln\frac{1}{3}))=\\= 4\pi (-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{3}{4}+ln\frac{1}{3}-ln\frac{1}{2}) = 4\pi (\frac{5}{12}+ln\frac{2}{3}) [/tex]

Stock here! I have tested the limits 0 to 1, 0 to 1/3 och 1/3 to ½. Anybody have any clue?

The answer is:

[tex]4\pi (\frac{1}{2}+ ln\frac{2}{3}) v.e[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2
    I would have to say that the shell method would be easier here,
    2*∏*∫(SHELL RADIUS)*(SHELL HEIGHT) dx
    Of course the limits of integration would be [0,1]

4. May 1, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

It would be convenient to use vertical line segments in this case in order to avoid setting up multiple integrals. So:

##r_{in} = x - dx##
    ##r_{out} = x##
    ##height = \frac{1}{x+2}##

##dV = 2\pi(\frac{r_{in} + r_{out}}{2})(r_{out} - r_{in})(height)##

5. May 1, 2014 #4
    Thanks,
    I have never seen this methods. The text book & teacher only use pi(f(x))² and Washer method. Should it not be possiable with disc/washer?

With [0,1] I got:
    [tex]Vy = 4\pi ((1-\frac{1}{4*1}-ln1) - (\frac{0}{0}-\frac{1}{4*0}-ln\frac{0}{0})) = 4\pi (1-\frac{1}{4}) = 4\pi (3/4) [/tex]
    Isn't the parentheses with 0 undefined, so I can't really use lower limit 0?

6. May 1, 2014 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The method I'm using is simply a generalized version of the disk and washer methods. Makes it so you only have to remember one formula really.

Using the method I get 1.18796 as the answer.

7. May 1, 2014 #6
    Using the shell method I got the same answer as Zondrina, but using your integral Hacca, I evaluated the integral on my own, and on wolfram, and both came to the same conclusion of 0.0448.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted