1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Rotation

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region trapped between the curve y3=x2, the y-axis, the line y=4 and the line x=0 around the y-axis.

I started by writing x as a function of y, explicitly:

[tex]x=y^{1.5}[/tex]

Heres the graph i obtained, with the shaded area being the area to be rotated about the y axis.

[​IMG]

[tex]
    V = \pi \int\limits_0^4 {(y^{1.5} )^2 dy = } \pi \int\limits_0^4 {y^3 dy = } 64\pi {\rm{ units}}^3
    [/tex]

The answer in the book says it should be 631.65 units3. It looks to me as if they multiplied by [tex]\pi^2[/tex] instead of just [tex]\pi[/tex]. Am i missing something, or am i on the right track?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like 64*pi units to me as well. Are we both missing something?

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3
    i got the same answer and i haven't solved any volume problems in a long time

5. Aug 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That concludes it. The score is 3 against 1. The book answer is wrong. Not all that unusual.

6. Aug 31, 2007 #5

danago

Gold Member

Alright thats good to hear :smile: Thanks for confirming it guys :smile:

7. Aug 31, 2007 #6
    Is it a solutions manual or the back of the book?

They did square pi but I dont see how they did. I wonder if they thought that pi should be squared because the radius (R(x)) is squared which is completely wrong. Quite strange really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?