Finding Volume of Solid Rotated Using Washers and Disks

In summary: The distance between two curves is not (4-x^2)^2. It is 4-x^2.In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 4 about the line y = 4 using the disks or washers method. The correct integrand is pi * (4 - x^2)^2, and after evaluation, the final answer is 256/5 * pi.
twoski

Homework Statement

Using disks or washers, find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 4 about the line y = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y=4 is parallel to the x-axis i assume i should be using the 'washer' method.

The points of intersection are x = 2, x = -2... But when i compute the volume i get the wrong answer.

[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{4} - 8 )dx = 1/5 x^{5} - 8x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

which results in pi * 64/5 which is apparently wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
twoski said:

Homework Statement

Using disks or washers, find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 4 about the line y = 4

Since y=4 is parallel to the x-axis i assume i should be using the 'washer' method.

The points of intersection are x = 2, x = -2... But when i compute the volume i get the wrong answer.

[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{2} - 4 )dx = 1/3 x^{3} - 4x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

which results in pi * 16/3 which is apparently wrong...

Check your formula for the washer method.

edit: Whoops.

Last edited:
twoski said:

Homework Statement

[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{2} - 4 )dx = 1/3 x^{3} - 4x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

which results in pi * 16/3 which is apparently wrong...

Your integrand is incorrect. The volume of a typical disk (it's not a washer here) is ##\pi##radius2*Δx. You are forgetting to square the radius.

[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{4} - 16 )dx = 1/5 x^{5} - 16x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

So evaluating this, i get pi * -256/5, which is wrong... Is there a method for determining the order in which i subtract the two given functions? Since y=4 is above y=x^2 should i be subtracting y=x^2 from it instead?

What is the disk radius? What do you get when you square it?

twoski said:
[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{4} - 16 )dx = 1/5 x^{5} - 16x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

So evaluating this, i get pi * -256/5, which is wrong... Is there a method for determining the order in which i subtract the two given functions? Since y=4 is above y=x^2 should i be subtracting y=x^2 from it instead?
Draw a picture of your region, and draw a single approximate disk of depth Δx. What is its radius?

LCKurtz said:
What is the disk radius? What do you get when you square it?

Well if i draw out x^2 and y=4, the distance from the lowest point in x^2 to y=4 is 4. And 4^2 is 16 so i guess i don't follow what you're hinting at.

twoski said:
Well if i draw out x^2 and y=4, the distance from the lowest point in x^2 to y=4 is 4. And 4^2 is 16 so i guess i don't follow what you're hinting at.

Great, that's the radius at x = 4. However, the radius varies with x. What is the radius r(x) as a function of x ?

twoski said:

The vertical distance between two curves is ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}##. What is that in this problem? What is its square? That's what goes in the integrand as ##\pi r^2dx##.

Okay it's 4-x^2 so i guess my order was wrong, if that's what you're getting at?

I forgot order doesn't matter as long as you take the absolute value of your answer (since my result is 256/5 if i shift things around). So i guess 256/5 * pi is correct then?

Am i supposed to be squaring (4-x^2)^2 = (16 - 8x^2 + x^4) or should i be squaring them individually, like (4^2) - ((x^2)^2)?

Last edited:
twoski said:
Okay it's 4-x^2 so i guess my order was wrong, if that's what you're getting at?
This is just the distance between a point on the line and a point on the curve.
twoski said:
I forgot order doesn't matter as long as you take the absolute value of your answer (since my result is 256/5 if i shift things around). So i guess 256/5 * pi is correct then?

Am i supposed to be squaring (4-x^2)^2 = (16 - 8x^2 + x^4) or should i be squaring them individually, like (4^2) - ((x^2)^2)?

You're supposed to square (4 - x2), which would be (4 - x2)2.

LCKurtz said:
The vertical distance between two curves is ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}##. What is that in this problem? What is its square? That's what goes in the integrand as ##\pi r^2dx##.

twoski said:

The answer is in my quoted post.

What is the volume of solid above an axis?

The volume of solid above an axis is the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object when it is rotated around a given axis.

How is the volume of solid above an axis calculated?

The volume of solid above an axis can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(R^2 - r^2)dx, where π is the constant pi, R is the outer radius of the solid, r is the inner radius of the solid, and dx is the infinitesimal width of the solid.

What is the difference between the volume of solid above an axis and the volume of solid below an axis?

The volume of solid above an axis represents the space occupied by the object when it is rotated around the axis in a clockwise direction, while the volume of solid below an axis represents the space occupied by the object when it is rotated around the axis in a counterclockwise direction.

Can the volume of solid above an axis be negative?

No, the volume of solid above an axis cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the amount of space occupied by the object.

How is the volume of solid above an axis used in real-world applications?

The volume of solid above an axis is used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as calculating the weight of objects, determining the capacity of containers, and designing structures with rotational symmetry.