1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Of Solid Above Axis

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using disks or washers, find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 4 about the line y = 4

3. The attempt at a solution

Since y=4 is parallel to the x-axis i assume i should be using the 'washer' method.

The points of intersection are x = 2, x = -2... But when i compute the volume i get the wrong answer.

[itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{4} - 8 )dx = 1/5 x^{5} - 8x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

which results in pi * 64/5 which is apparently wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your formula for the washer method.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    edit: Whoops.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your integrand is incorrect. The volume of a typical disk (it's not a washer here) is ##\pi##radius2*Δx. You are forgetting to square the radius.

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    [itex]V = \pi \int ^{2}_{-2} ( x^{4} - 16 )dx = 1/5 x^{5} - 16x | ^{2}_{-2}[/itex]

So evaluating this, i get pi * -256/5, which is wrong... Is there a method for determining the order in which i subtract the two given functions? Since y=4 is above y=x^2 should i be subtracting y=x^2 from it instead?

7. Mar 11, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the disk radius? What do you get when you square it?

8. Mar 11, 2013 #7
    Draw a picture of your region, and draw a single approximate disk of depth Δx. What is its radius?

9. Mar 11, 2013 #8
    Well if i draw out x^2 and y=4, the distance from the lowest point in x^2 to y=4 is 4. And 4^2 is 16 so i guess i don't follow what you're hinting at.

10. Mar 11, 2013 #9
    Great, that's the radius at x = 4. However, the radius varies with x. What is the radius r(x) as a function of x ?

11. Mar 11, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vertical distance between two curves is ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}##. What is that in this problem? What is its square? That's what goes in the integrand as ##\pi r^2dx##.

12. Mar 11, 2013 #11
    Okay it's 4-x^2 so i guess my order was wrong, if that's what you're getting at?

I forgot order doesn't matter as long as you take the absolute value of your answer (since my result is 256/5 if i shift things around). So i guess 256/5 * pi is correct then?

Am i supposed to be squaring (4-x^2)^2 = (16 - 8x^2 + x^4) or should i be squaring them individually, like (4^2) - ((x^2)^2)?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  13. Mar 11, 2013 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is just the distance between a point on the line and a point on the curve.
    You're supposed to square (4 - x2), which would be (4 - x2)2.

14. Mar 11, 2013 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The answer is in my quoted post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted