1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of solid curves

1. Apr 22, 2006 #1

Could someone please give me an idea on how to go about this problem

Find the volume of the curve genereated by revolving the area between the curve y =(cos x)/x and the x axis in the interval pie/6 to pie/2

Thanks a lot..
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2

Attached Files:

4. Apr 22, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Better than a formula is to think through it: Draw a line from any point on the x-axis up to the curve. As the curve is rotated around the x-axis that line sweeps out a disk of radius y= cos(x)/x. It's area is [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] and if we imagine that as a very shallow cylinder of height dx (the height of the disk is in the x direction) its volume is [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex].
    The volume of the whole thing is a sum of those volumes (a Riemann sum) and becomes the integral Tinaaa said:
    [tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}y^2 dx[/tex]
    Since y= cos(x)/x, put that in and integrate.

Was this really for a PRE-Calculus course?
  5. Apr 22, 2006 #4
    @ Hallofivy

Thanks a lot. Actually I couldnt think up where to put this post so i just dropped it in Pre calculus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?