1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Volume of Solid in R3

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Find the volume of the solid in the first octant of xyz space, bounded below by the coordinate axes and the unity circle and bounded above by z = 8xy.

A) 1/2 B) 1 C) 2 D) 4 E) 8

I know definitely volume will be the double integral of 8xy dy dx.

I think my limits of integration for the inner integral should be -sqrt(1-x^2) to sqrt(1-x^2). Since we are looking at the unit circle ( x^2 + y^2 = 1)

The outer integral limits should just be from -1 to 1?

Is this correct?

When I do the inner integral I get 4x(y^2) evaluated between -sqrt(1-x^2) to sqrt(1-x^2) but this looks like it just gives me 0 when I do the inner integral....

4x(sqrt(1-x^2))^2 - 4x(-sqrt(1-x^2))^2

Can someone help me and tell me if I am doing something wrong. I think i am

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Your limits of integration are not correct.

Edit: both "inner" and "outer". Recall that you're in an octant.

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    oh right we are in the first octant.. so we are really only looking at a quarter of the unit circle i guess..

So my limits on the outer integral should just be from 0 to 1 right? and the limits on the inner integral should be from 0 to (sqrt(1-x^2))/2? since its just a quarter of the circle? Thats my reason for dividing by 2

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, correct.

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    change to the sphendrical coordinate

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook