1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of solid or revolution

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the area bounded by the curves about the line indicated.
    y=x2-2, y=0 about y=-1. Need only consider part above y=-1

2. Relevant equations
    V=∏ab[f(x)]2dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm mainly unsure of my solution, as it gives me an answer but I feel that my bounds aren't selected properly.
    Roots: -√2 to √2
    V=∏-√2 √2[(x-1)2-(-1)2]dx
    I get an answer of 21.91 u3, but as I'm working in the negative y I feel like the y upper and y lower I've selected aren't correct as the parabola is not above the line. Should I integrate in terms of x instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you sketch the region? Looks to me like a horizontal cylinder, axis y=-1, with a dimple in the right hand end (positive x end). That means the bounds for y depend on x. Split the range of x into two integrals.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean should you integrate in terms of y instead? I would say a ##dy## integral would be easier. Use shells. As Haruspex suggests, draw a picture if you haven't already.

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4
    So, if integrating in terms of y, I would integrate x=sqrt(y+2) from -1 to 0?, So my final integral is pi (integral from -1 to 0) (sqrt(y+2))^2 dy?

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. This is the cylinder method. Each cylinder has length x, but what is its surface area?

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6
    We didn't use terms like by shells and by cylinders in lecture so I'm trying to follow along, but since if I'm doing by cylinders would I then require the constant to be 2pi?

8. Feb 24, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, there's a 2π in there, but that's not the only error in your integral.
    Your cylindrical element has y=-1 as axis. It is dy thick. What are its length and circumference?

9. Feb 25, 2014 #8
    It's radius is 1, so it's circumference is 2pi. It's length is 2x, so 2sqrt(y+2)?

10. Feb 25, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right for the length of the ##dy## element. But it is at a variable y-coordinate ##y## and it is being rotated about ##y=-1## so its radius of rotation isn't ##1## and its circumference isn't ##2\pi##. It depends on ##y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted