Volume of Solid of Revolution for y=x^2-2, y=0 about y=-1

In summary: What is the distance between the line ##y=-1## and the line ##y=y##?In summary, the problem asks for the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the area bounded by the curves y=x^2-2 and y=0 about the line y=-1. The solution involves using the cylindrical method and splitting the range of x into two integrals. When integrating in terms of y, the cylindrical element's length is 2√(y+2) and its circumference is 2π√(y+2). The final integral is ∫[(2π√(y+2))^2(2√(y+2))]dy from -1 to 0.
californicate

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the area bounded by the curves about the line indicated.
y=x2-2, y=0 about y=-1. Need only consider part above y=-1

Homework Equations

V=∏ab[f(x)]2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mainly unsure of my solution, as it gives me an answer but I feel that my bounds aren't selected properly.
Roots: -√2 to √2
V=∏-√2 √2[(x-1)2-(-1)2]dx
I get an answer of 21.91 u3, but as I'm working in the negative y I feel like the y upper and y lower I've selected aren't correct as the parabola is not above the line. Should I integrate in terms of x instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you sketch the region? Looks to me like a horizontal cylinder, axis y=-1, with a dimple in the right hand end (positive x end). That means the bounds for y depend on x. Split the range of x into two integrals.

californicate said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the area bounded by the curves about the line indicated.
y=x2-2, y=0 about y=-1. Need only consider part above y=-1

Homework Equations

V=∏ab[f(x)]2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mainly unsure of my solution, as it gives me an answer but I feel that my bounds aren't selected properly.
Roots: -√2 to √2
V=∏-√2 √2[(x-1)2-(-1)2]dx
I get an answer of 21.91 u3, but as I'm working in the negative y I feel like the y upper and y lower I've selected aren't correct as the parabola is not above the line. Should I integrate in terms of x instead?

Do you mean should you integrate in terms of y instead? I would say a ##dy## integral would be easier. Use shells. As Haruspex suggests, draw a picture if you haven't already.

So, if integrating in terms of y, I would integrate x=sqrt(y+2) from -1 to 0?, So my final integral is pi (integral from -1 to 0) (sqrt(y+2))^2 dy?

californicate said:
So, if integrating in terms of y, I would integrate x=sqrt(y+2) from -1 to 0?, So my final integral is pi (integral from -1 to 0) (sqrt(y+2))^2 dy?
No. This is the cylinder method. Each cylinder has length x, but what is its surface area?

We didn't use terms like by shells and by cylinders in lecture so I'm trying to follow along, but since if I'm doing by cylinders would I then require the constant to be 2pi?

californicate said:
We didn't use terms like by shells and by cylinders in lecture so I'm trying to follow along, but since if I'm doing by cylinders would I then require the constant to be 2pi?
Yes, there's a 2π in there, but that's not the only error in your integral.
Your cylindrical element has y=-1 as axis. It is dy thick. What are its length and circumference?

It's radius is 1, so it's circumference is 2pi. It's length is 2x, so 2sqrt(y+2)?

californicate said:
It's radius is 1, so it's circumference is 2pi. It's length is 2x, so 2sqrt(y+2)?

That's right for the length of the ##dy## element. But it is at a variable y-coordinate ##y## and it is being rotated about ##y=-1## so its radius of rotation isn't ##1## and its circumference isn't ##2\pi##. It depends on ##y##.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid or revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid or revolution is dependent on the shape of the object. For a cylinder, the formula is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. For a cone, the formula is V = (1/3)πr^2h. Other shapes, such as spheres or prisms, have their own specific formulas.

What is the difference between the volume of a solid and the volume of a revolution?

The volume of a solid refers to the amount of space that the entire object occupies, while the volume of a revolution refers to the amount of space that is swept out by a 2D shape when it is rotated around an axis. In other words, the volume of a solid is a 3D measurement, while the volume of a revolution is a 2D measurement.

How do you calculate the volume of a solid or revolution using integration?

To calculate the volume of a solid or revolution using integration, you must first find the cross-sectional area of the object at each point along the axis of revolution. Then, you can use the formula V = ∫A(x)dx, where A(x) is the cross-sectional area function and x represents the distance along the axis of revolution.

What is the concept of a "washer" or "shell" method for finding volume?

The washer and shell methods are two techniques for finding the volume of a solid or revolution when using integration. The washer method is used for objects with a circular cross-section, such as cylinders or cones, while the shell method is used for objects with a rectangular cross-section, such as prisms. Both methods involve slicing the object into thin pieces and using integration to find the volume of each piece, which are then added together to find the total volume.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of solids or revolutions?

Calculating the volume of solids or revolutions has many real-life applications, including in architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. For example, architects may use volume calculations to determine the amount of materials needed for a building, while engineers may use volume calculations to design structures such as bridges or tunnels. Manufacturing companies may also use volume calculations to determine the capacity of containers or the amount of raw materials needed for production.