1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of solid

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis:

x+3=4y-y^2
    x=0
    About x-axis

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried solving x+3=4y-y^2 for y, but I can't get it even though it seems simple.

*Edit*
    Can someone check if I set up this integral correctly (for a different problem)?
    Find volume of region bounded by given curve and rotated around given axis:
    y=x^3
    y=8
    x=0
    Rotate about x=2

Integral from 0 to 8 of: pi(2-0)^2 - pi(2-x^1/3)^2 dy

thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2006 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

y cannot be expressed as a function of x. Try plotting the graph, and you'll see that for each value of x there will be two values of y.

Should this not be [tex] \pi\int_0^8 2^2-y^{2/3}dy [/tex]?

4. Dec 26, 2006 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I started with this one and right now I don't have time to do the other one. I think you can express this volume as

[tex]\int_0^8\pi (2-y^{1/3})^2 dy[/tex]

or equivalently as

[tex]\int_0^2 2\pi (2-x) x^3 dx[/tex]

5. Dec 26, 2006 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all, you have to figure out what this region looks like. Define f by [itex]f(y)=-y^2+4y-3[/itex]. Calculate f´ and f". Solve the equation f´(y)=0 for y. Is f"(y) positive or negative when y is such that f´(y)=0? Find the points where the curve intersects the line x=0.

When you've done this you will know enough about what the region looks like to proceed. You have two options, either integrate over y (which means that you add up the volumes of cylindrical shells of thickness dy) or integrate over x (which means you add up the volumes of circular discs with a hole at the center). I think it's easier to integrate over y.

The solutions of the equation [itex]z^2+az+b[/itex] are [itex]z=-a/2\pm\sqrt{(a/2)^2-b}[/tex].

6. Dec 27, 2006 #5
    Thanks for help everyone. I have another question but didn't want to create another thread. I'm having trouble with these volume questions, so I hope some more examples will help me understand them better.

The height of a monument is 20 m. A horizontal cross-section at a distance x meters from the top is an equilateral triangle with side x/4 meters. Find the volume of the monument.

7. Dec 27, 2006 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know how to calculate the area of an equilateral triangle with side x/4? Call that A(x). The volume of a triangular slice of thickness dx is then A(x)dx. Integrate from 0 to 20.

[tex]\int_0^{20} A(x) dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?