Calculate Volume of Tetrahedron with Given Vertices | Step-by-Step Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a tetrahedron with given vertices. The correct formula for finding the volume of a tetrahedron is (1/3)*(area of the base)*height, and for the given vertices, the volume is (abc)/6. The mistake made by Mr. Miyagi is corrected and the final answer is confirmed to be 1/6 of the volume of a cube with length 1.
madachi

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the tetrahedron with vertices at [itex] (0,0,0),(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the triple integral and found out that the volume is [itex] \frac{1}{6} [/itex]? Is this correct? I know there is probably a much quicker way working the volume by just using the volume formula for tetrahedron. However, I am not sure which value to substitute to the formula, so could you just tell me whether this answer is right or not?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertices you give do not make a tetrahedron. Try to draw the points in three dimensions. You'll see the volume is just half that of a cube with length 1. So the volume you're seeking should be 1/2.

For a tetrahedron, like a cone, the area is (1/3)*(area of the base)*height. So (1/3)*(1/2)*1=1/6, yes.

Mr. Miyagi is wrong. That is in fact a tetrahedron, it is 1/6 of a cube, not 1/2, and its volume is, indeed, 1/6.

More generally, the volume of the tetrahedron is with vertices at (0, 0, 0), (a, 0, 0), (0, b, 0), and (0, 0, c) is (abc)/6.

Ugh, sorry about that... Is it too late to claim temporary insanity? :uhh:

Thanks for correcting it so quickly.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a tetrahedron?

The formula for finding the volume of a tetrahedron is V = (1/3) * (base area) * (height), where the base area is the area of one of the triangular faces and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

How is the volume of a tetrahedron different from other 3D shapes?

The volume of a tetrahedron is unique because it is the only 3D shape that has four triangular faces, each meeting at a common vertex. This means that the volume formula is specific to this shape and cannot be used for other 3D shapes.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a tetrahedron?

Calculating the volume of a tetrahedron is useful in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, and chemistry. It can be used to determine the volume of a pyramid-shaped building, the amount of liquid that can be held in a tetrahedral container, or the volume of a molecular tetrahedron in a chemical compound.

Can the volume of a tetrahedron be negative?

No, the volume of a tetrahedron cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and it is always a positive quantity. If the calculated volume is negative, it is likely that an error was made in the calculations.

How can I calculate the volume of a tetrahedron with irregular sides?

If the sides of the tetrahedron are irregular, the easiest way to calculate the volume is by using the Heron's formula to find the area of the base triangle. Then, the height can be found by drawing a perpendicular line from the opposite vertex to the base. Plug these values into the volume formula to calculate the volume of the tetrahedron.