1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of the following

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let W be the solid bounded by the paraboloid x = y^2 + z^2 and the plane x = 9.

How can I find the volume of this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I find it hard to visualize so it makes me harder to find the volume... can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

Hello Equinox. The key to doing these effectively is to become proficient at plotting them. I think in Mathematica you can use:

ContourPlot3D[x==y^2+z^2,{x,-5,5},{y,-5,5},{z,-5,5}]

Ok, assume that gets the part you want. Next is to make it transparent so that you can better see the surfaces. Use "PlotStyle->{Opacity[0.5],LightPurple} or something like this.

Next is to draw the plane x=9. Do that with Polygon command and again use an opacity factor. Then combine the plots with Show[{p1,p2}]. Alright, the learning curve is slow at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can create a very nice visualization relatively quickly of this and much more complicated volume integrations and then the integrations become easy to set up once you have a nice picture. It's worth the effort. :).

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    Seems pretty complex.. I don't have mathematica as well

5. Apr 28, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi -EquinoX-! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    It's a paraboloid …

you can tell because x= r2 is a parabola, so x = y2 + z2 is a parabola rotated about its principal axis. :wink:

Anyway, just divide the volume into circular slices of thickness dx, find the volume of each slice, and integrate. :smile:

6. Apr 28, 2009 #5
    I am pretty confused... should I integrate in polar, cylindrical, or spherical coordinate?

7. Apr 28, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi -EquinoX-! :smile:

I think you're making this over-complicated …

this isn't a ∫∫∫, where you have to decide whether it's dx dy dz or dr dθ dφ or dr dθ dz …

it's only a single ∫ because you know what the area of a circle is! :wink:

so, as I said, just use slices of thickness dx, and integrate (over dx) :smile:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook