Volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloids

In summary, the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloids z= 16(x^2 +y^2) and z=32-16(x^2+y^2) can be found by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for y, finding the x bounds, and then using a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates to calculate the volume.
Whatupdoc
Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloids z= 16(x^2 +y^2) and z=32-16(x^2+y^2)

i'm not sure how i would find the x bounds for this triple integral. here's my work:

16x^2+16y^2 = 32-16x^2+16y^2 => simplifies to y = +- sqrt(1-x^2) (the y-bounds)

z bounds is already given which is from z= 16x^2+16y^2 to 32-16x^2+16y^2

but how would i find the x bounds (mathematically if possible)? I'm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try a different coordinate system?

Adding the two equations gives 2z= 32 or z= 16. When z= 16 both equations reduce to x^2+ y^2= 1 so you are correct. x ranges from -1 to 1, for each x, y ranges from [itex]-\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex], for each x,y, z ranges from 16(x2+ y[/sup]2[/sup]) to
32- 16(x2+ y2.
The volume is
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1 \int{y=-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\int_{z=16(x^2+ y^2)}^{32-16(x^2+ y^2} dzdydx[/tex]
Yes, you would find it simpler to take advantage of the circular symmetry by changing to cylindrical coordinates: r, [itex]\theta[/itex], z.
The largest extent parallel to the xy-plane is at the intersection of the two parabolas, a circle with radius 1 so r ranges from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/tex] and z varies from 16r2 to 32- 16r2.
The volume is
[tex]\int_{r=0}^1 \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{z= 15r^2}^1 r dzd\thetadr[/tex].

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of the solid enclosed by two paraboloids?

The formula for finding the volume of the solid enclosed by two paraboloids is V = ∫abπ(R(x))^2 - π(r(x))^2 dx, where a and b represent the x-coordinates of the points of intersection between the two paraboloids, R(x) and r(x) represent the radii of the larger and smaller paraboloids at a given x-value, and π represents the constant pi.

2. How do you determine the radii of the larger and smaller paraboloids used in the volume formula?

The radii of the larger and smaller paraboloids can be determined by finding the distance between the x-value of the point of intersection and the x-coordinate of the vertex of each parabola. This can be done using the formula (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k), where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex and p represents the distance between the vertex and the focus of the parabola.

3. Can the formula for finding the volume of the solid enclosed by two paraboloids be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the formula for finding the volume of the solid enclosed by two paraboloids can be applied to other shapes as long as they can be represented using two parabolas and have points of intersection at the same x-values.

4. Is there a way to simplify the volume formula for the solid enclosed by two paraboloids?

Yes, if the two paraboloids are symmetric about the x-axis, the volume formula can be simplified to V = 2∫0bπ(R(x))^2 dx, where b represents the x-coordinate of the point of intersection between the two paraboloids.

5. How does the placement of the two paraboloids affect the volume of the solid enclosed?

The placement of the two paraboloids can greatly affect the volume of the solid enclosed. If the two paraboloids intersect at a lower point, the volume will be smaller compared to if they intersect at a higher point. Additionally, if one paraboloid is much larger than the other, it will contribute more to the overall volume. It is important to consider the placement of the paraboloids when calculating the volume of the solid enclosed.