1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of wedge

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is attached in the picture.

3. The attempt at a solution

What bothers me is that they say the wedge is bounded by x + z = a. Doesn't this imply that the calculated volume should only be half of what is written in the answers? I'm aware that the plane x + z = a can refer to either the left (negative) side or the right (positive) side. Do we choose one or simply take both?

Limits for x: 0 to a
    Limits for y: 0 to √4ax
    Limits for z: 0 to a-x

However, in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalWedge.html the wedge is given as the full volume.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2
    You have two possibilities: if a>0, then x>0 and z>0. If a<0, then also x<0 and z<0. No value of a works for both regions.

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming ##a>0##, the slanted plane is the "roof" of the solid. I see no reason to limit ##y## to only being positive.

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4
    I see! I initially thought that the x + z = a plane refers to the vertical plane i.e. the x-z plane. But now that you mention it, it actually refers to the plane that is sloping downwards from z = a to x = a, like a ramp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook