1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of zero; Real Analysis

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##A\subset E^n## and let ##f:A\to E^m.## Consider the condition that there exist some ##M\in\mathbb{R}## such that ##d(f(x),f(y))\le Md(x,y)## for all ##x,y\in A.##

Show that if the condition is satisfied, if ##m=n##, and ##\text{vol}(A)=0##, then ##\text{vol}((f(A))=0.## Now suppose ##m>n## and ##A## is bounded then show that ##\text{vol}(f(A))=0.##

2. Relevant equations

For an arbitrary subset ##A\subset E^n,## we say that ##A## has volume, and define the volume of ##A## to be ##\text{vol}(A)=\int_A 1,## if this integral exists.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to do the second part of the question and I am not sure that my outline for the first part of the proof is correct.

For the first part, since the subset ##A## has volume zero then given any ##\epsilon>0## there exists a finite number of closed intervals in ##E^n## whose union contains ##A## and the sum of whose volumes is less that ##\epsilon.## So if a define ##\text{vol}(A)=\int_I f## for ##A\subset I## then for any ##\epsilon>0## there is a partition of ##I## such that any Riemann sum for ##f## corresponding to this partition has absolute value less that ##\epsilon.## So for ##x,y\in I,## let ##\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{M}## then ##|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon.## Then I can create step functions such that ##f## is sandwiched between the two step functions and since ##\text{vol}(A)=0## and ##m=n## then ##\text{vol}(f(A))=0.##

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    Some questions regarding the problem statment:

1) Is ##E## supposed to be some subset of ##\mathbb{R}##?

2) Is the integral that you're using to define volume the Riemann integral on ##\mathbb{R}^n##?

And some remarks on what you have done and questions for you to consider.

What is a closed interval in ##E^n##? Are you sure this statement is even true in the case where ##E=\mathbb{R}## and ##n=1## (i.e. the simplest case)?

##\text{vol}(A)## is already defined per your relevant equations as ##\text{vol}(A)=\int_A 1##. Furthermore, considering that ##f## is a map with codomain, ##E^m##, what does ##\int_I f## even mean? What does a Riemann sum for ##f## look like?

What does a step function ##h:A\rightarrow E^m## look like?

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3
    1) Yes, it is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}.##

2) That's correct

Hmm, maybe I am not sure what you mean? The phrase I used was the definition the book gave me for volume zero.

Hmm, I should start by saying what exactly is ##\text{vol}(A)=\int_A 1,## the book didn't clarify? But to answer your question, I defined ##\int_I f## to be the function ##f:I\to\mathbb{R}## by setting ##f(x)=1## if ##x\in A, \ f(x)=0## if ##x\in I-A,## so that ##\text{vol}(A)=\int_I f##.

Well, I was going to define my step functions later since I didn't know if my outline was correct or not

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted