1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume or area?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Does pi/4(d^2) equal volume or area? OR neitheR?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    Neither. I have no idea what that is supposed to represent. Of course, I'm assuming you're talking about a sphere(based on the presence of pi, and your reference to both volume and area), but you did not specify.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It represents an area but what area? I don't know, certainly no readily identifiable geometric shape.

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4

Well, is it
    [tex]
    \frac{\pi}{4 d^2}
    [/tex]
    or
    [tex]
    \frac{\pi}{4} d^2
    [/tex]

Assuming d is in meters, the first (how i read it) is not an area, the second(how i assume you read it, and i did not think of until you posted) is. The second is the area of a circle (where [tex] r= \frac{d}{2}[/tex]), if d is a diameter.

@Zenaide: In the future you need to provide more information with a question. A single sentence will almost never be enough information for us to say anything definitive.

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5
    [tex]
    \frac{\pi}{4} d^2
    [/tex]
    Okay That ^^^^^ is what I meant.... I had a sheet of equations but I don't have it and I can't find the equation for what that series of things equal... and I was using d as a diameter for a water tank.... SO I'm assuming the water tank is a cylnder. becuase it has a height and a diameter.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

Then that would be the cross sectional area. The volume would be
    [tex]
    V = \frac{\pi}{4} d^2 h
    [/tex]

where h is the height in meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?