Volume Problem (Can someone check my work?)

In summary, the volume of the solid that lies within the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4, above the x-y plane, and below the cone z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} is V=\frac{8\pi\sqrt{2}}{3}.
amcavoy
"Find the volume of the solid that lies within the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/tex], above the x-y plane, and below the cone [tex]z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]."

I set this up in polar coordinates as follows:

[tex]V=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2}}r^2drd\theta+\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{2}r\sqrt{4-r^2}drd\theta[/tex]

and then solved it coming up with [tex]V=\frac{8\pi\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex].

Is this the correct way to set this up? Also, is there a way I could do this with one double integral rather than adding two of them together?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that will work but the way I would analyze it is this: On the sphere, [itex]z= \sqrt{4- x^2-y^2}= \sqrt{4- r^2}[/itex]. On the cone, [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= r[/itex]. So the "height" at each point is [itex]\sqrt{4- r^2}- r[/itex]. You want to integrate that, times [itex]dA= rdrd\theta[/itex], over the disk inside the intersection of the two figures projected down to the xy-plane.
The sphere and cone intersect when [itex]\sqrt{4- r^2}= r[/itex] or [itex]4- r^2= r^2[/tex] so r2= 2 or [itex]r= \sqrt{2}[/itex] just as you have.

The volume is [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{4- r^2}- r\right)rdrd\theta[/itex].

Personally, I would put it in spherical coordinates and do it as a single triple integral:
[itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] goes from 0 (vertical) to [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] (the cone) and [itex]\rho[/itex] goes from 0 to 2 (the sphere). Integrate [itex]dV= \rho sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi d\rho[/itex] over that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for your help HallsofIvy :smile:

Ivy, I computed your approach as well and I don't find the same as your first solution, and they're both different from apmcavoy's answer.

I get:

[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{4- r^2}- r\right)rdrd\theta = \frac{-8\,\left( -2 + {\sqrt{2}} \right) \,\pi }{3}[/tex]

While:

[tex]\int\limits_0^{2} {\int\limits_0^{{\raise0.5ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle \pi $}
\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
\lower0.25ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle 4$}}} {\int\limits_0^{2 \pi} {\rho \sin \left( \phi \right)} } } d\theta d\phi d\rho = -2\,\left( -2 + {\sqrt{2}} \right) \,\pi[/tex]

Any idea what's wrong?

TD said:
Ivy, I computed your approach as well and I don't find the same as your first solution, and they're both different from apmcavoy's answer.

I get:

[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{4- r^2}- r\right)rdrd\theta = \frac{-8\,\left( -2 + {\sqrt{2}} \right) \,\pi }{3}[/tex]

While:

\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
\lower0.25ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle 4$}}} {\int\limits_0^{2 \pi} {\rho \sin \left( \phi \right)} } } d\theta d\phi d\rho = -2\,\left( -2 + {\sqrt{2}} \right) \,\pi[/tex]

Any idea what's wrong?

I may be wrong, but doesn't [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{4- r^2}- r\right)rdrd\theta[/tex] represent the volume above the cone and within the sphere?

TD said:
I get:
While:
\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
Any idea what's wrong?

try changing from psin to p^2sin. :)

1. What is a volume problem?

A volume problem is a mathematical question or puzzle that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional object, such as a cube, cylinder, or sphere.

2. How do I solve a volume problem?

To solve a volume problem, you need to know the formula for calculating the volume of the specific shape given in the problem. For example, the formula for the volume of a cube is length x width x height. Once you have the formula, plug in the given measurements and solve for the volume.

3. What units are used for measuring volume?

Volume is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm³) or cubic meters (m³), depending on the size of the object. However, other units, such as liters (L) or gallons (gal), may also be used for measuring volume in certain contexts.

4. Can I use the same formula for all volume problems?

No, the formula for calculating volume may vary depending on the shape of the object. For example, the formula for the volume of a cylinder is different from the formula for a cone. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific shape given in the problem.

5. How can I check my answer to a volume problem?

To check your answer to a volume problem, you can use a calculator or another method to verify that your calculations are correct. You can also compare your answer to the given measurements to ensure that the units and numerical value are correct.