Volume problem - Closest packing

• Thread starter Jchem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary: Just pick the sides of that cube to be the same as the sides of the spheres and you will have all whole spheres. The fractional part comes about because the center of the top and bottom sphere are above the centers of the corner spheres. You can use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate how far above if you wish. So for example, the diagonal of the bottom square is the side of the square times root two. The diagonal of the side of the cube is the side of the square times root three. The difference is how much higher the center is than the top of the bottom cube. That's how much space will not be filled. The problem is the next layer doesn't align vertically with
Jchem
Ok I am trying to show the packing efficiency for 3 different types of packing.

1) Hexagonal closest packing (efficiency = 74%)
2) Cubic closest packing - (efficiency = 74%)
3) Body-centered - (efficiency = 68%)

I know the efficiency values because they are in my textbook and all over the internet. I need to come up with these numbers myself.

efficiency = Volume of the spheres/Volume of a box around the spheres.

the spheres in my model have a radius of 3cm, so volume of the spheres is easy... 4/3(pie)r^3 x (number of spheres)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to figure out a way to find the volume of a box around Hexagonal closest packing and cubic closest packing.

bottom layer: 3 spheres
middle layer: 7 spheres
top layer 3 spheres

bottom layer: 4 balls
middle layer: 5 balls
top layer: 4 balls

I know that the volume of both must be the same since they each have 13 balls and each have the same packing efficiency.

How do I find the volume of a box around these spheres?

:

I've been trying to figure this out for hours so any help at all is appreciated...and sorry for the length of the question :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of a way to do this from scrath, but if you know the effeciency, you can solve for the volumes. That's kind of cheating though.

[tex]\frac{\mbox{Volume of Spheres}}{\mbox{x}} = \mbox{effiency}[/tex]

Solve for x.

I'm curious to the full answer of this problem as well.

Jchem said:
Ok I am trying to show the packing efficiency for 3 different types of packing.

1) Hexagonal closest packing (efficiency = 74%)
2) Cubic closest packing - (efficiency = 74%)
3) Body-centered - (efficiency = 68%)

I know the efficiency values because they are in my textbook and all over the internet. I need to come up with these numbers myself.

efficiency = Volume of the spheres/Volume of a box around the spheres.

the spheres in my model have a radius of 3cm, so volume of the spheres is easy... 4/3(pie)r^3 x (number of spheres)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to figure out a way to find the volume of a box around Hexagonal closest packing and cubic closest packing.

bottom layer: 3 spheres
middle layer: 7 spheres
top layer 3 spheres

bottom layer: 4 balls
middle layer: 5 balls
top layer: 4 balls

I know that the volume of both must be the same since they each have 13 balls and each have the same packing efficiency.

How do I find the volume of a box around these spheres?

:

I've been trying to figure this out for hours so any help at all is appreciated...and sorry for the length of the question :redface:

In most cases, a box around whole spheres is not the way to look at it. You will probably do better assuming the corners of the volume you select are alighned with the centers of some spheres and then count the number of whole spheres and fractional spheres contained within that volume. Simple cubic can be done either way because there is no interlacing of layers. That is not the case for close-packed configurations.

ahh ok, thanks for the quick response ... I was trying to come up with something that would give me a precise answer.. but i guess that's not the most efficient way to solve it. :smile:

So basically, just pick the lines of an imaginary cube, calculate the volume..

Count the amount of spheres/partial spheres within that cube, multiply that by the volume of a sphere.

then doctor up your count to make the efficiency close to 74% :smile:

thanks

Jchem said:
ahh ok, thanks for the quick response ... I was trying to come up with something that would give me a precise answer.. but i guess that's not the most efficient way to solve it. :smile:

So basically, just pick the lines of an imaginary cube, calculate the volume..

Count the amount of spheres/partial spheres within that cube, multiply that by the volume of a sphere.

then doctor up your count to make the efficiency close to 74% :smile:

thanks
You won't even have to doctor it up :smile: Your second configuration also goes by the name face-centered-cubic.

1. What is closest packing?

Closest packing is a phenomenon in which spheres or particles are arranged in a way that maximizes the space they occupy. It is often seen in the arrangement of atoms in crystals and the packing of objects in a container.

2. What is the significance of closest packing?

Closest packing is important in various fields of science, such as materials science, geology, and biology. It helps in understanding the properties of crystals and the behavior of particles in a confined space.

3. How is closest packing related to volume problem?

The volume problem in closest packing refers to the challenge of determining the maximum volume that can be occupied by a certain number of spheres or particles in a given space. It involves mathematical calculations and geometric considerations.

4. What are the two types of closest packing?

The two types of closest packing are hexagonal close-packed (HCP) and cubic close-packed (CCP) structures. In HCP, particles are arranged in a hexagonal pattern, while in CCP, they are arranged in a cubic pattern.

5. How is closest packing used in real-life applications?

Closest packing has various practical applications, such as in the design of materials with desired properties, the packing of objects in shipping containers, and the study of biological systems. It is also used in the field of nanotechnology to create structures at the atomic level.