1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume problem

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region inside the first quadrant enclosed by
    y = x^2
    y = 2x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I first solved both equations for y, which gave me x=radical(y) and x=y/2. Then I graphed both of them, found that the radical one was above the y/2, so I made the equation pi*(radical(y)^2 - (y/2)^2. I then made that equation a definite integral with lower limit 0 and upper limit 2.

Of course, it turned out wrong (I'd use Latex to make it look nice, but it's not coming out very well right now and I don't have the patience). Suffice it to say, I did something wrong somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About which line are you rotating the region about, the x axis?

4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Yes yes, the x axis. Sorry.

5. Mar 18, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then there is no need to solve for x. The volume of revolution about the a axis of a region bounded by two functions, f(x) and g(x) and the lines x=a and x=b is given by;

[tex]V=\pi\int_a^b{\left|\left[f(x)\right]^2-\left[g(x)\right]^2\right|}dx[/tex]

It my also be a good idea to sketch the two curves to get a visual idea of what your are actually doing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  6. Mar 18, 2007 #5
    Ah okay, now I'm getting the right answer. Thanks.

7. Mar 18, 2007 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No worries :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?