Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Volume problem

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region inside the first quadrant enclosed by
    y = x^2
    y = 2x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I first solved both equations for y, which gave me x=radical(y) and x=y/2. Then I graphed both of them, found that the radical one was above the y/2, so I made the equation pi*(radical(y)^2 - (y/2)^2. I then made that equation a definite integral with lower limit 0 and upper limit 2.

Of course, it turned out wrong (I'd use Latex to make it look nice, but it's not coming out very well right now and I don't have the patience). Suffice it to say, I did something wrong somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About which line are you rotating the region about, the x axis?

4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Yes yes, the x axis. Sorry.

5. Mar 18, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then there is no need to solve for x. The volume of revolution about the a axis of a region bounded by two functions, f(x) and g(x) and the lines x=a and x=b is given by;

[tex]V=\pi\int_a^b{\left|\left[f(x)\right]^2-\left[g(x)\right]^2\right|}dx[/tex]

It my also be a good idea to sketch the two curves to get a visual idea of what your are actually doing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  6. Mar 18, 2007 #5
    Ah okay, now I'm getting the right answer. Thanks.

7. Mar 18, 2007 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No worries :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook