Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume problem

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can anyone help me with a weird problem I am having on my computer?

When I play a CD or DVD in my computer the sound is fine. When I try to listen to something on a website like youtube or even a file already on my hard drive, I can barely hear it.

I have already checked all of the volume settings and that doesn't change anything.

Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which OS are you using?
    I know e.g. in Windows Vista you can set the volume for each program separately.

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The basic volume control in Windows has separate controls for WAV, CD and the master audio levels. Make sure you open that up instead of the volume control with the single slider.

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4

Evo

Windows XP

I did and palyed with all the settings, no change.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to hire the Nerd Herd.

6. Oct 26, 2007 #5
    The only thing I would think it would is that the "wav" was not turned up- But you say it's not the case... Have you tried running the microsoft DirectX sound tests? That may be helpful, lets hope- go to run then type dxdiag- I hope it helps ya!

7. Oct 26, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I knew that one was too easy.

8. Oct 26, 2007 #7

Evo

I was so angry, that I went back into the control panel and on the volume tab, I slid the balance over to one side and both speakers came on full blast. :bugeye: It doesn't matter which side I place the balance, they both work equally, but if I place the balance in the middle, you can barely make out a sound.

Thanks for the suggestions, since this fixed itself the other day. It may go out again.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  9. Oct 26, 2007 #8

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have external speakers plugged in, then try the moving the connector.
    A mono signal can cancel out when balanced if the common ground is bad.
    Stereo won't be affected to the same degree.

10. Oct 26, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Do you have a sound card, or is this off the motherboard? It could be that the component on the motherboard is going.

Are you using laptop or desktop?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?