1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Problem

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What would be the most efficient way to find the volume of the solid x^4+y^4+z^4=1?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Cylindrical and spherical coordinates end up messy with integrals that cannot be computed by hand. Im at a loss to find something that will work in the long run! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Spherical coords. You have to integrate powers of sines and cosines; look these up somewhere. Or integrate by parts. Or use e.g. cos(x)=(1/2)(e^ix + e^-ix) and expand.
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    So i just let x=rcos(o)sin(phi) etc etc? i wouldnt need to try something like x^2=rcos(o)sin(phi)?
    Because i dont see how to find limits for r in the first case...
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    in either case, the jacobian gives me an expression that i can only integrate with mathematica using error functions or elliptical integrals... im starting to think that this is impossible!
  6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    but there must be a way to do this... no one has any ideas?
  7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

Oops, sorry, it's harder than I thought. Cylindrical coords look like your best bet. Do the z integral first (easy), then the rho integral (Mathematica will do it), and finally the phi integral (ditto).

I got (pi^2 Gamma[1/4])/(3 Gamma[3/4]^3) = 6.48, which is a reasonable number (between a cube of edge length 2 and a sphere of diameter 2).

EDIT: I also got the same answer with rectangular coords, which is probably even easier.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?