1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume problem

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    One cubic centimeter of a cumulus contains 330 water drops, which have a typical radius of 10 μm. (a) How many cubic meters of water are in a cylindrical cumulus cloud of height 2.9 km and radius 1.0 km? (b) How many 1-liter pop bottles would that water fill? (c) Water has a density of 1000 kg/m3. How much mass does the water in the cloud have?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Find the volume of one drop. Find the volume of the cylinder. Watch out for units - might be smart to convert everything to meters at the start.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    But they have give that it is one cubic meter at the beginng thats what i dont understand should i use that or what is that

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

No, it says the water drop has a radius of 10 μm. That means it is a sphere. Use the formula for the volume of the sphere to find its volume. Express the 10 micrometers in units of meters first. You'll get a very small answer, of course.

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5
    "One cubic centimeter of a cumulus contains 330" thats what i am talking

Thanks buddy for you help.

7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, 330 drops in a cc. So after you find the volume of one drop of water, you can multiply by 330 to find out how much water in a cc of cloud.

8. Jan 29, 2009 #7
    ok i found the volume of both whats next

9. Jan 29, 2009 #8
    Also how i should do the part b and c

10. Jan 29, 2009 #9

Delphi51

Homework Helper

ok you know how much water in one cc of cloud.
    So how much in the whole cloud? Find the volume of the cloud. It might be handy do to this calc in centimeters for easy comparison with the water in one cc.

11. Jan 29, 2009 #10
    i did not get that i just got the volume of drops of water and volume of cylinder with the given hieght and radius in km

12. Jan 29, 2009 #11
    should i divide the volume of cylinder by the volume of drops in meters

13. Jan 29, 2009 #12

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I'm not clear on what you've got. Thought you said you had the volume of water in one drop AND the volume in 330 drops, which is the volume of water in 1 cc of the cloud.
    Maybe give the approximate numbers you have for all these volumes so we can write more clearly.

14. Jan 29, 2009 #13
    ok i found the volume of one drop using 10 micrometer and than i multiply it by 330 drops . Than i foung the volume of the cylinder using height and radius

15. Jan 29, 2009 #14

Delphi51

Homework Helper

If you have the cloud cylinder volume in cc's, you can just multiply by the amount of water in 1 cc. If in different units, you must convert.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?