1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume problem

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x) =e^x and g(x)= ln(x)

Find the volume of the solid generated when the region enclosed by the graphs of f and g between x=1/2 and x=1 is revolved about the line y=4

2. Relevant equations

v= pi* integral( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 dx)

3. The attempt at a solution

SO for the part about the volume

I set up my integral as V= pi* integral ( (4-e^x)^2 - (4- ln(x))^2 dx) from 1/2 to 1 and get around -23. Am I right ? should it be 4-e^x or e^x-4 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2
    Also another problem if you guys don't mind

The rate at which people enter an amusement park on a given day is modeled by the function E defined by E(t)= 15600/(t^2-24t+160)

The rate at which people leave is L(t)= 9890/(t^2-38t+370)

Both E(t) and L(t) are measured in people/hour an d time t is measured in hours after midnight. These functions are valid for 9<= x<= 23. At t=9, no one is in the park.

Let H(t)= integral( E(x)-L(x)) from 9 to t for 9<=t<=23. At what time t, for 9<=t<=23, does the model predict the number of people in the park is maximum.

My approach:

H(x) max when H'(x) min ( I am doubting this connection. AM I right ?). Then I find H''(x) and set it =0 and solve for t then plug in t back to the model. Is my approach right or should I do something else since I cannot t ( I keep getting negative numbers)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook