1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume problem

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    problem:
    find volume bordered by cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4 and y+z=4 and z=4.
    the answer is said to be 16p. but I couldn't find it.
    I found it in double integral part.so it must be solved with double integral. I tried with Jacobian tranformation. nut still couldn't solve it. I was confused with what function should be integrated. because the cylinder has no border in z line.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Start, of course, by drawing a picture. I drew the picture using y as horizontal axis, z a vertical axis. The cylinder is just the 2 lines y= 2, y= -2. y+ z= 4 is represented by a line from (-2, 6) to (0,4) to (2,2). Notice that the plane z= 4 cuts that line in half. I interpret the "volume bordered by ..." as meaning the sections both below and above z= 4. Since they are clearly symmetric, just find the area of the section below z= 4 and double.

Projecting the figure down into the xy-plane, we get the portion of the circle x2+ y2= 4 above the x-axis. x ranges from -2 to 2 and, for each x, y ranges from 0 up to √(4- x2). For each (x,y) in that half circle, z ranges from z= 4-y (below) to 4 (above). The volume is given by
    [tex]\int_{-2}^2\int_0^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}y dy dx[/tex]

If you've done integrals in polar coordinates, since this is a half circle, you could also do it as
    [tex]\int_0^2 \int_0^{\pi} r sin(\theta) r d\theta dr[/tex].

I don't know what "16p" is. What is "p"? I get 16/3 as the volume.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    yesterday I had thought it again and I think I have found it. but it's seems diffrent from yours. why does the integration to y? shouldn't it (4-y)? I assumed that the section is under z=4 and above z+y=4 inside x^2+y^2=4.
    p=3.14. I will check it again. thanx
    oh yes I got it now. you subtract z=4 with z=4-y. am I right? thanx

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  5. Mar 14, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?