Volume Question with cirular base and square top

It is symmetrical about the xz plane, so the entire figure is obtained by rotating the second figure about the xz plane. The problem is to find the volume of the solid.In summary, the shape described in the conversation is a solid with a circular base and square cross-sections perpendicular to the base. It can be visualized as a "blocky" football shape with sharp corners and a circular perimeter. The volume can be found by integrating 4 (1-x^2) with respect to x from 0 to 1 and doubling the result, which is equal to 8/3 cubic units. The shape is not a cylinder, as the cross-sections are squares rather than rectangles.
ktpr2
The question goes like this:

"The base of a certain solid is circular with a radius of 1. Cross-sections of the solid, perpendicular to the base, are square. Find the volume of the solid."

In visualizing this object, i see that it looks like a "blocky" foot ball, where the perimeter is circular, but the corners are sharp because of the volume of the reducing square outward from the center.

I center the circle at zero on the xy plane. Then I note that base of a given slab can be given by [tex]2 \sqrt{1-x^2} [/tex]. Since the area of a sqaure is b^2, [tex]A(x) = 4(1-x^2)[/tex]. The slab has a width [tex]\Delta x[/tex], making the total volume function [tex]4 (1-x^2) \Delta x [/tex]. I then integrate from 0 to 1 and double the resultin volume, as 0 to 1 represents the volume of half this shape. My result is [tex] 2 \int_{0}^{1} 4 (1-x^2) \Delta x = \frac{32}{3}[/tex] cubic units.

Is this logic correct? If not, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
ktpr2 said:
The question goes like this:

"The base of a certain solid is circular with a radius of 1. Cross-sections of the solid, perpendicular to the base, are square. Find the volume of the solid."

In visualizing this object, i see that it looks like a "blocky" foot ball, where the perimeter is circular, but the corners are sharp because of the volume of the reducing square outward from the center.

Look at the picture. What is the name of that shape of solid? :smile:

Last edited:
Why can't the imaginary shape be a cylinder with height equal to the diameter of the base?

PS: Ehild already mentioned it.

Um, isn't that just a cylinder then? And I suppose i introduced an extra constraint; the cross sectino is never said to decrease.

ktpr2 said:
Um, isn't that just a cylinder then? And I suppose i introduced an extra constraint; the cross sectino is never said to decrease.

It is! :rofl:

ehild

The figure in the original problem is not a cylinder because, if it were, the cross sections would be rectangles, not squares (the cross section at the diameter would be a square but as you move toward the ends of the diameter at right angles to your cross sections, the base length gets smaller- with a cylinder the height doesn't).
ktpr2 was right the first time- it's a sort of "blocky" football.

Set up a coordinate system so that the origin is at the center of the circular base. The equation of the circle is x2+ y2= 1. Imagine the cross-sections to be perpendicular to the x-axis (so parallel to the y-axis). The base of each cross-section runs from the circle above the x-axis to the circle below the x-axis: the length is 2y and so the area of the square cross-section is 4y2. That is: 4(1- x2). The "thickness" of each imaginary cross-section is dx (since we are "moving" along the x-axis). The "sum" of those becomes the integral [tex]4\int_{-1}^{1}(1- x^2)dx[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
ktpr2 said:

I center the circle at zero on the xy plane. Then I note that base of a given slab can be given by [tex]2 \sqrt{1-x^2} [/tex]. Since the area of a sqaure is b^2, [tex]A(x) = 4(1-x^2)[/tex]. The slab has a width [tex]\Delta x[/tex], making the total volume function [tex]4 (1-x^2) \Delta x [/tex]. I then integrate from 0 to 1 and double the resultin volume, as 0 to 1 represents the volume of half this shape. My result is [tex] 2 \int_{0}^{1} 4 (1-x^2) \Delta x = \frac{32}{3}[/tex] cubic units.

Is this logic correct? If not, why?

There is nothing wrong with your logic, but you need to check your integration. This shape is not a cylinder. Also, when writing integrals we use differentials, not deltas

[tex] V = 2 \int_{0}^{1} 4 (1-x^2) dx = 8 \int_{0}^{1} (1-x^2) dx = \ \ \? [/tex]

OOPs. Halls beat me to it.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
The figure in the original problem is not a cylinder

Sorry, I overlooked the "square top". Does that shape then look like in the picture? Now I am not sure, either, what "cross section" is.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Sorry, I overlooked the "square top". Does that shape then look like in the picture? Now I am not sure, either, what "cross section" is.

ehild

That's really not it either. It does not have a flat top. It's more like a cylinder of length 2 and radius 1 that has been cut by a saw with a blade in the shape of half a 2 by 4 ellipse with the long axis of the ellipse parallel to the axis of the cylinder. You have to use a little imagination, but the first figure is an approximation showing only the positive x half of the solid. The corners of the squares are rounded in the figure, as if the cut out shape had the sharp edges sanded round. The actual shape has sharp corners. Draw vertical lines from the rounded corners down the the base to complete the square cross sections. Those extended lines to the base would lie on the circle at the base.

I changed the coordinates so that I could do a better looking plot. The second figure is a pretty fair rendition of the shape of half of the solid. The third shows just about all of it.

Attachments

• Squares.png
    Squares.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Squares2.png
    Squares2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Squares3.png
    Squares3.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder with a circular base and a square top?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder with a circular base and a square top is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do you calculate the radius of the circular base?

The radius of the circular base can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the base by 2. If the diameter is not given, it can be calculated by measuring the distance across the widest part of the circle.

What is the difference between the circular base and the square top in terms of volume calculation?

The circular base and square top have different areas, which affects the volume calculation. The circular base has an area of πr2, while the square top has an area of s2, where s is the length of one side of the square. This means that the volume of a cylinder with a circular base and square top will be different than a cylinder with a circular base and top.

Does the height of the cylinder affect the volume calculation?

Yes, the height of the cylinder is an important factor in calculating the volume. The higher the cylinder, the greater the volume will be. This is because the volume of a cylinder is directly proportional to its height.

Can the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder with a circular base and square top be used for any size cylinder?

Yes, the formula V = πr2h can be used to find the volume of any size cylinder with a circular base and square top, as long as the measurements for the radius and height are accurate.