Clarifying the Volume of a Cone

In summary: I am wondering how integrating from Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R gives you the volume outside of the cone? I understand that if you integrate from bottom up that would give you 0 ≤ r ≤ Rz/H. But, I thought that since you know that the maximum value for r is R, you can also write it as Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R?Sorry.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a cone using polar coordinates and similar triangles. The correct integral for the volume is expressed as ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ where Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R, 0 ≤ z ≤ H, and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π. This takes into account
bodensee9
I am wondering if someone can help clarify the following? Suppose that I’m asked to find the volume of a cone. So, the volume would be ∫∫∫dxdydz or using polar coordinates ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ. Therefore the volume would be if I have a cone with base radius R and height H, I can express the radius r at any height z using similar triangles. I would get that r = Rz/H, where z is the height at any point in the cone.

Hence the volume would be ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ where Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R, 0 ≤ z ≤ H, and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π.

But I’m wondering why I can’t express the volume as ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ where 0 ≤ r ≤ Rz/H, and 0 ≤ z ≤ H and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:
But I’m wondering why I can’t express the volume as ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ where 0 ≤ r ≤ Rz/H, and 0 ≤ z ≤ H and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π? Thanks!

Because you've got the bounds on r in terms of z. That means that the r integration has to come before the z integration.

bodensee9 said:
I am wondering if someone can help clarify the following? Suppose that I’m asked to find the volume of a cone. So, the volume would be ∫∫∫dxdydz or using polar coordinates ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ. Therefore the volume would be if I have a cone with base radius R and height H, I can express the radius r at any height z using similar triangles. I would get that r = Rz/H, where z is the height at any point in the cone.

Hence the volume would be ∫∫∫rdzdrdθ where Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R, 0 ≤ z ≤ H, and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π.
No, it would not. The way you have set up this cone, it has vertex at the origin and base at z= H. The inside of the cone has 0≤ r≤ Rz/H. Your limits of integration gives the volume of the part of the cylinder of radius R and height H outside the cone.

You can. This is the correct integral!
[tex]\int_{z=0}^H\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^{Rz/H} rdrd\theta dz[/tex]
[tex]= 2\pi \int_{z=0}^H (1/2)(R^2 z^2)/H^2 dz= \pi R^2/H^2 \int_0^H z^2[/tex]
[tex]= \pi R^2/H^2 (1/3)H^3= (1/3)\pi R^2 H[/tex]
which is the standard formula for area of a cone.

Your original formula,
[tex]\int_{z=0}^H\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= Rz/H}^R rdrd\theta dz[/tex]
[tex]= 2\pi \int_{z=0}^H (1/2)(R^2- R^2z^2/H^2)dz= \pi R^2\int_0^H(1- z^2/H^2)dz[/tex]
[tex]= (2/3)\pi R^2 H[/tex]
Notice that those two volumes add to [itex]\pi R^2 h[/tex], the volume of the cylinder.

(Tom, I think you misinterpreted his question. Well, one of us did!)

Thanks, that was helpful. But I'm still a little bit confused.
I am wondering how integrating from Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R gives you the volume outside of the cone? I understand that if you integrate from bottom up that would give you 0 ≤ r ≤ Rz/H. But, I thought that since you know that the maximum value for r is R, you can also write it as Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R?
Sorry.

bodensee9 said:
Thanks, that was helpful. But I'm still a little bit confused.
I am wondering how integrating from Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R gives you the volume outside of the cone? I understand that if you integrate from bottom up that would give you 0 ≤ r ≤ Rz/H. But, I thought that since you know that the maximum value for r is R, you can also write it as Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R?
Sorry.

The axis of the cone is the positive z-axis, isn't it? So that r= 0 is always inside the cone, no matter what z is?

Draw a graph. Take the horizontal axis to be "r" and the vertical axis to be z. Draw the straight lines r= Rz/H or z= Hr/R and z= -Hr/R representing the sides of the cone and the vertical line r= R. Where is the inside of the cone and where is the outside? Where is Rz/H ≤ r ≤ R?

Okay, I see it now. Thanks so much!

HallsofIvy said:
(Tom, I think you misinterpreted his question. Well, one of us did!)

I confess that I didn't really read above the line that said, "why can't I express the volume as...?" in the OP. But my point is that he had the variables of integration out of order. dr has to be to the left of dz in the integrand to use the bounds that he stated.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone is V = 1/3πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do you clarify the volume of a cone?

To clarify the volume of a cone, you need to understand the formula and how it relates to the shape and dimensions of a cone. It is also helpful to use visual aids or diagrams to better understand the concept.

3. What units are typically used for measuring the volume of a cone?

The volume of a cone is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters. This is because volume is a measure of three-dimensional space.

4. Can the volume of a cone be negative?

No, the volume of a cone cannot be negative. Since volume is a measure of space, it cannot have a negative value. If the result of the formula is negative, it means that the cone does not exist in physical space.

5. How is the volume of a cone different from the volume of other shapes?

The volume of a cone is different from the volume of other shapes because it has a curved surface and a pointed top. This means that the formula for finding its volume is different from other shapes, such as cubes or cylinders. Additionally, the volume of a cone is always one third of the volume of a cylinder with the same base and height.