Volume Rate Problem: Find Change When r=6 & 24 Inches

In summary, the volume of a sphere can be calculated using the equation V=(4/3)(pi)(r^3). By deriving this equation, we can find the rate of change of the volume by using (dv/dt)=(8)(pi)(r^2)(dr/dt), where dr/dt is the rate of change of the radius. When r=6 inches, the rate of change of the volume is 288pi and when r=24 inches, the rate of change is 4608pi.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

The radius r of a sphere is increasing at a rate of 2 inches per minute. Find the rate of chance of the volume when r=6 and r=24 inches.

Homework Equations

V=(4/3)(pi)(r^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it is correct.

So the volume of a sphere is V=(4/3)(pi)(r^3)

So the first thing I did was derive the equation and got this...

(dv/dt)=(4/3)(3)(pi)(r^2)(dr/dt)

Simplifying it and plugging in 2 for (dr/dt) i got...

(dv/dt)=(8)(pi)(r^2)

So then I just plugged in the r and got 288pi and 4680pi, I have a feeling I've done this terribly wrong though :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your numbers, but your method seems fine to me. However, you might want to get a second opinion before you go and write it in stone.

It all looks good to me to. Except for when the radius is 24 I got 4608. Maybe you just had a typo there?

yes sorry that was a typo, thanks! :)

1. How do I calculate the volume rate with a given radius of 6 inches?

To calculate the volume rate, you will first need to determine the volume of the object. This can be done by using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius. In this case, the radius is 6 inches. Once you have the volume, you can then divide it by the given time period to find the volume rate.

2. How do I find the change if the radius increases to 24 inches?

To find the change, you will need to calculate the volume rate using the new radius of 24 inches and then compare it to the previous volume rate calculated with the radius of 6 inches. The change will be the difference between the two volume rates.

3. Is the volume rate affected by the change in radius?

Yes, the volume rate is affected by the change in radius. As the radius increases, the volume also increases, resulting in a higher volume rate. Similarly, if the radius decreases, the volume and volume rate will also decrease.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the volume rate?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as it is consistent throughout the calculation. For example, if the radius is given in inches, the volume should also be calculated in cubic inches.

5. How can I use the volume rate to predict future changes?

The volume rate can be used to predict future changes by using it as a rate of change. This means that for every given time period, the volume will increase or decrease by the same amount, as determined by the volume rate. Therefore, you can use the volume rate to estimate the volume at a future time by multiplying it by the desired time period.