How does temperature affect the height of a liquid column in a glass tube?

In summary, when a 1.55 m long vertical glass tube is heated from 23.0°C to 40.0°C, the height of the liquid column inside will increase by approximately 3.07E-4m. This is calculated by finding the change in volume using the coefficients of expansion for glass and liquid, and then converting it back to height using the ratio of the original and final heights. However, this answer may not be accurate due to the assumption that the cross section of the tube stays the same, which influences the final height. The surface area of the tube is not needed for this calculation.
plfarrell
A 1.55 m long vertical glass tube is half-filled with a liquid at 23.0°C. How much will the height of the liquid column change when the tube is heated to 40.0°C? Take αglass = 1.0 × 10-5 °C-1 and βliquid = 4.0 × 10-5 °C-1.

First I found how much the height of the glass changed by using
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=[tex]\alpha[/tex]glass x 1.55m x 17[tex]^{o}[/tex]C.
I added that to the original height of the cylinder, and took the ratio of that value to the original, 1.5502635m/1.55m = 1.00017. (Sorry for not using sig. figs. I want to be as exact as possible.)
The textbook we have says that the V[tex]_{o}[/tex] = L[tex]^{3}_{o}[/tex]. Using that relationship, I found what the change in volume was, given the coefficient of the volume expansion, then converted that back into height by taking the cube root. I used the ratio found earlier to find the actual height of the liquid, then took the difference between the two giving me .7753074067m - .775 m = 3.07E-4m.
This answer is apparently incorrect, so can anyone shed some light on this situation? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The change in the cross section of the tube has an influence on the final height. You cannot assume that the cross section stays the same and just subtract the lengths.

[tex]$\Delta h =\Delta V_{liquid}/A_{tube}$[/tex]
where
[tex]A_{tube}=A_0(1+2\alpha \Delta T)$[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V_{liquid}=V_0 \beta \Delta T$[/tex]
and
[tex] $ V_0 =A_0 L_0, L_0=1.55m/2 $[/tex]
A_0 will simplify in the end.

How do i find the Surface Area of the tube without knowing its radius?

Last edited:
It's not the surface area but the cross section area.
And you don't need it. It simplifies in the end, as I already mentioned.

1. What is volume thermal expansion?

Volume thermal expansion is a phenomenon where the volume of a substance increases as its temperature increases. This is due to the increased kinetic energy of the particles in the substance, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. How does volume thermal expansion relate to temperature?

Volume thermal expansion is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume of a substance also increases. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the volume decreases as well.

3. What factors affect volume thermal expansion?

The main factor that affects volume thermal expansion is the substance's coefficient of thermal expansion. This value is unique to each substance and determines the amount of expansion that will occur for a given change in temperature. Additionally, the initial volume of the substance and the temperature range it is exposed to can also impact volume thermal expansion.

4. How is volume thermal expansion measured?

Volume thermal expansion can be measured by using the substance's coefficient of thermal expansion and the change in temperature. The formula for calculating volume thermal expansion is: ΔV = V * α * ΔT, where ΔV is the change in volume, V is the initial volume, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of volume thermal expansion?

Volume thermal expansion has many practical applications in various industries. For example, it is used in the design of bridges and buildings to account for temperature changes and prevent structural damage. It is also utilized in thermometers and other temperature measuring devices. In addition, volume thermal expansion is important in the production and storage of liquids, as changes in volume can affect the accuracy of measurements and cause spills or leaks.