Volume to fill pneumatic spring at a pressure

In summary: This can also be written as (pmax + p0) * Vnew. Overall, your calculations are in line with the original formula and seem to be accurate.
rulmismo
Hi, I am reviewing a pneumatic calculation. One step is to calculate how many liters of air (at normal conditions) are needed to fill up some pneumatic springs.

The calculation does the following for getting the volume to add needed (Vn) to get a predefined pressure, (liters at normal conditions):

Vn = Vnew * (pmax + p0) + Vinitial * (pmax - pmin)
OR ALSO SAYS THAT CAN BE DONE:
Vn = Vinitial * (pmax - pmin) / p0

where:
Pmax: final pressure to get (manometric in bar)
Pmin: initial pressure of the spring (manometric in bar)
P0: atmospheric pressure (absolute, 1 bar)
Vinitial: initial volume
Vnew: Increase in volume of the spring due to the pressure increment.
Vn:volume of air in normal conditions to add to the spring in order to get the final pressure.

I don´t really trust this formulae, applying Boyle I have got:

considering no volume change and manometric pressures Pmin Pmax:
Vn = Vinitial * (pmax - pmin)/(pmin + p0)

considering volume change Vnew and manometric pressures Pmin Pmax:
Vn = Vnew*(pmax+p0)/p0 + (pmax - pmin) * Vinitial / (pmin + p0)

What do you think? am I correct? or you see some logic to the original formulae that I can´t understand?

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
,Your formulae appear to be correct. The logic behind the original formula is that the volume of air (Vn) needed to fill up the pneumatic springs is equal to the initial volume (Vinitial) multiplied by the difference in pressure (pmax - pmin), plus the increase in volume due to the pressure increment (Vnew) multiplied by the sum of the maximum pressure (pmax) and atmospheric pressure (p0).

1. What is a pneumatic spring?

A pneumatic spring is a type of mechanical spring that uses compressed air or gas to store potential energy and provide force or motion.

2. How does a pneumatic spring work?

A pneumatic spring works by compressing air or gas inside a chamber, which creates pressure and stores potential energy. When the spring is released, the stored energy is released, providing force or motion.

3. What is the relationship between volume and pressure in a pneumatic spring?

The volume and pressure in a pneumatic spring have an inverse relationship. This means that as the volume of the air or gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the volume of air needed to fill a pneumatic spring at a specific pressure?

To calculate the volume of air needed to fill a pneumatic spring at a specific pressure, you can use the formula: V = (P x V0)/P0, where V is the desired volume, P is the desired pressure, V0 is the initial volume, and P0 is the initial pressure.

5. What factors can affect the volume of air needed to fill a pneumatic spring at a certain pressure?

The volume of air needed to fill a pneumatic spring at a certain pressure can be affected by factors such as the initial volume and pressure, the temperature of the air, and the type and condition of the pneumatic spring. Friction and leaks can also impact the volume of air needed.