Volume to Mass Conversion Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the volume and mass of water needed to fill a cylindrical swimming pool. The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is mentioned, and the relationship between mass, volume, and density is also brought up. The importance of understanding and reasoning through formulas is emphasized.
Amil
My first week of class and I'm just tied up with this problem. I must be missing something.
Question:
A cylindrical swimming pool is 132 cm high and 365 cm in diameter. What will be the volume (in liters) of water necessary to fill this pool, knowing that one cubic decimeter is equal to one liter? Supposing that the desity of water is 1.0g/cm3, what will be the mass of water in this pool?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really need to understand how to convert thse types of units.

AMIL

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

What is the relationship between mass, volume and density?

You should be able to find these formula in your book, let the units be your guide.

Even without formulas, you should be able to reason through this. You know that a cylinder has a circular base and top. Think about what the volume is: the cylinder is basically a pile of circles on tom of each other that add up to a lenth (the side length of the cylinder). I dunno, this might be confusing, but whenever you can, try not to use formulas without understanding what they mean and where they come from. Same for the density part.

1. How do you convert volume to mass?

To convert volume to mass, you need to know the density of the substance. You can then multiply the volume (in units of cubic meters, liters, etc.) by the density (in units of kilograms per cubic meter, grams per milliliter, etc.) to get the mass in units of kilograms or grams.

2. What is the formula for converting volume to mass?

The formula for converting volume to mass is: Mass = Volume x Density. Make sure to use the appropriate units for volume and density in order to get the correct units for mass.

3. Can you convert volume to mass without knowing the density?

No, you cannot convert volume to mass without knowing the density. Density is a necessary factor in the conversion because it represents the amount of mass per unit of volume.

4. How do you find the density of a substance?

The density of a substance can be found by dividing its mass by its volume. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the mass and volume of a sample, or it can be found in reference materials such as tables or online databases.

5. What are some common units for volume and mass?

Common units for volume include cubic meters, liters, gallons, and cubic feet. Common units for mass include kilograms, grams, pounds, and ounces.