1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume to Mass Conversion Problem

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    My first week of class and I'm just tied up with this problem. I must be missing something.
    A cylindrical swimming pool is 132 cm high and 365 cm in diameter. What will be the volume (in liters) of water neccessary to fill this pool, knowing that one cubic decimeter is equal to one liter? Supposing that the desity of water is 1.0g/cm3, what will be the mass of water in this pool?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really need to understand how to convert thse types of units.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

What is the relationship between mass, volume and density?

You should be able to find these formula in your book, let the units be your guide.
  4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    Even without formulas, you should be able to reason through this. You know that a cylinder has a circular base and top. Think about what the volume is: the cylinder is basically a pile of circles on tom of each other that add up to a lenth (the side length of the cylinder). I dunno, this might be confusing, but whenever you can, try not to use formulas without understanding what they mean and where they come from. Same for the density part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?