Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state

In summary: P = \frac {RT}{ \hat V - b} - \frac {a α(T)} {( \hat V)^2 + 2b(\hat V) - b^2} $$Which is exactly like the standard PR EoS (equation 3)! This means you can use the result found above (4)Then equation 2 becomes (7):$$ \hat Z = \frac {P \hat V} {RT} = \frac {P(V+c)}{RT} = \frac {PV} {RT} + \frac {Pc} {RT} = Z + T^*$$Where I used the definition
maistral
Hi. Please excuse my ignorance but this entire volume translation formulas for EOS confuses me to no end.

Could someone tell me how the volume-translated Peng-Robinson exactly works? How do I calculate the fugacity expression of VTPR? Do I integrate the V + c terms against dV or do i integrate it entirely with respect to d(V + c)?

According to this paper (Tsai, J-C., Chen, Y-P.: Application of a volume-translated Peng-Robinson equation of state on vapor-liquid equilibrium calculations, 1997):
https://ibb.co/fGeMhe

If by comparison the fugacity equation is the same with the original PR EOS then I assume that they integrated the volume-translated equation with respect to d(V+c)? What I did to verify is to numerically integrate the volume-translated PREOS and the result did not equal the result of the integrated equation (did it in MATLAB, as seen here)

Or am I misunderstanding something? Please help. Thank you!
https://ibb.co/k1Gv8K

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is ##t## ? Is it a sort of constant ?

Ok, I Wikipedia(d) it and I understand it is a correction on the volume and it is a constant. So just substitute ##V' = V + t## so ##Z'## will be:
##Z' = \frac{PV'}{RT} = Z + T^*##
and now you have a standard PR EoS. You can use the standard expression for ##log(φ)## with ##Z'## instead of ##Z##

Last edited:
dRic2 said:
What is ##t## ? Is it a sort of constant ?

Ok, I Wikipedia(d) it and I understand it is a correction on the volume and it is a constant. So just substitute ##V' = V + t## so ##Z'## will be:
##Z' = \frac{PV'}{RT} = Z + T^*##
and now you have a standard PR EoS. You can use the standard expression for ##log(φ)## with ##Z'## instead of ##Z##
Hi! Thanks for replying.

Sadly, I got even more confused. I hope you could guide me; maybe I could begin by understanding the meaning of V in the equation of state itself. Is it Vexp or VEOS? This is so confusing, sorry :(

I'm not very familiar with this topic, I'll tell you what I figured it out by looking at my book on thermodynamics and some wikipedia.

First, How do you calculate the fugacity coefficient ##φ##? As you did, you use the following formula (1):

$$log(φ) = \int_0^P (Z-1) \frac {dP} P$$

with (2)

$$ Z = \frac {PV}{RT}$$

Standard PR EOS looks like this (3):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{V-b} - \frac {a α(T)} {V^2 + 2bV - b^2} $$

and we have an analytical solution for the integral of equation 1. My book gives the following solution(4):

$$ log(φ) = Z-1-log(Z-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {Z + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{Z + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$

But, sadly, we are not working with a standard PR (equation 3) - instead we are working with VTPR EoS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTPR) (5):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{V + c - b} - \frac {a α(T)} {(V+c)^2 + 2b(V+c) - b^2} $$

where ##c## is a constant. So, here is the trick: use the substitution ##\hat V = V + c## so you can re-write equation 5 like this (6):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{ \hat V - b} - \frac {a α(T)} {( \hat V)^2 + 2b(\hat V) - b^2} $$

Which is exactly like the standard PR EoS (equation 3)! This means you can use the result found above (4)

Then equation 2 becomes (7):

$$ \hat Z = \frac {P \hat V} {RT} = \frac {P(V+c)}{RT} = \frac {PV} {RT} + \frac {Pc} {RT} = Z + T^*$$

Where I used the definition of ##T^* = \frac {Pc} {RT}## found in the paper you attached.

This means that

$$ log(φ) = \hat Z-1-log( \hat Z-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {\hat Z + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{\hat Z + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$
$$ ... = Z + T^*-1-log(Z + T^*-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {Z + T^* + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{Z + T^* + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$

dRic2 said:
I'm not very familiar with this topic, I'll tell you what I figured it out by looking at my book on thermodynamics and some wikipedia.

First, How do you calculate the fugacity coefficient ##φ##? As you did, you use the following formula (1):

$$log(φ) = \int_0^P (Z-1) \frac {dP} P$$

with (2)

$$ Z = \frac {PV}{RT}$$

Standard PR EOS looks like this (3):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{V-b} - \frac {a α(T)} {V^2 + 2bV - b^2} $$

and we have an analytical solution for the integral of equation 1. My book gives the following solution(4):

$$ log(φ) = Z-1-log(Z-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {Z + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{Z + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$

But, sadly, we are not working with a standard PR (equation 3) - instead we are working with VTPR EoS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTPR) (5):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{V + c - b} - \frac {a α(T)} {(V+c)^2 + 2b(V+c) - b^2} $$

where ##c## is a constant. So, here is the trick: use the substitution ##\hat V = V + c## so you can re-write equation 5 like this (6):

$$ P = \frac {RT}{ \hat V - b} - \frac {a α(T)} {( \hat V)^2 + 2b(\hat V) - b^2} $$

Which is exactly like the standard PR EoS (equation 3)! This means you can use the result found above (4)

Then equation 2 becomes (7):

$$ \hat Z = \frac {P \hat V} {RT} = \frac {P(V+c)}{RT} = \frac {PV} {RT} + \frac {Pc} {RT} = Z + T^*$$

Where I used the definition of ##T^* = \frac {Pc} {RT}## found in the paper you attached.

This means that

$$ log(φ) = \hat Z-1-log( \hat Z-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {\hat Z + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{\hat Z + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$
$$ ... = Z + T^*-1-log(Z + T^*-B) - \frac A {2\sqrt{2}B}log \frac {Z + T^* + B(1 + \sqrt{2})}{Z + T^* + B(1 - \sqrt{2})} $$
Wow, thanks. Actually I tried going back to the (Z-1)/P dP integral and worked from there. You killed off a lot of doubts.

Apparently the paper derives the equations very poorly, and the paper interchanged VEXP and VEOS which confused me even more. Thank you!

What is the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state?

The Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state is an equation used to predict the thermodynamic properties of fluids, such as volume, pressure, and temperature. It is an extension of the original Peng-Robinson equation of state that takes into account the effects of volume translation, or the difference in size and shape between real molecules and idealized spheres.

How does the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state differ from the original Peng-Robinson equation of state?

The original Peng-Robinson equation of state assumes that molecules behave as idealized spheres with no volume. The Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state takes into account the differences in volume and shape of real molecules, resulting in more accurate predictions of thermodynamic properties.

Why is the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state important in scientific research?

The Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state is important in scientific research because it allows for more accurate predictions of thermodynamic properties of fluids. This is crucial in many fields, such as chemical engineering and materials science, where precise knowledge of thermodynamic properties is necessary for designing and optimizing processes and materials.

What are the limitations of the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state?

Like any other equation of state, the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation has its limitations. It may not accurately predict the behavior of highly non-ideal fluids, mixtures, or systems at extreme conditions. It is also limited to single phase systems and cannot account for phase transitions.

How is the Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state used in practical applications?

The Volume translated Peng-Robinson equation of state is used in practical applications through computer simulations and modeling. It is also incorporated into commercial software and databases that are used in industries such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and food processing, for predicting the properties of fluids and optimizing processes.