Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume using intergals

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    If the region bounded by y=9-x^2,y=0,x=0. Is rotated about the x axis the what would the volume be. I'm got 407. For the same region rotate about the y=9, and i got 153. Can someone check these answers i think they are wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Set up the equations you used! :smile:

4. Mar 3, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know, I could have sworn that when you rotate something a "[itex]\pi[/itex]" would show up!

How about showing us exactly what you integrated and how you got those answers?

5. Mar 3, 2007 #4
    The first integral would be, I think: b=3,a=0, on the integral pi*(9-x^2)^2

The second one, which I'm not sure about, would be same b and a, on the integral pi*(9-(9-x^2))^2

6. Mar 3, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first is set up correctly but that surely is not "407"!

When you rotate around the y-axis, your "disks" will be moving up the y axis. The radius of each disk will be x as a function of y and their "thickness" is dy.

7. Mar 3, 2007 #6
    Thats what i get when I put it into my ti-83. I'm pretty sure that the first one is right. But I'm having a hard time imaging the shape you get when you rotate the area around y=9.

8. Mar 3, 2007 #7
    [tex] \int_{0}^{3} pi*9^2-(pi*(9-9+x^2)^ dx [/tex] is what the second integral maybe?

9. Mar 3, 2007 #8
    Never mind guys, I just checked my work on maple and the answers I had first were right, I should stop second guessing my self :),

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?