Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Volume via Triple Integrals.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    The solid enclosed by the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 9[/itex] and the planes y + z = 5 and z=1.

The biggest part for me (usually) is just being able to find my limits of integration for these problems (any suggestions about that would also be greatly appreciated). I think I found the correct limits for this problem...

[tex]
    \iiint dV
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int_{-3}^3 \int_{-\sqrt{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt{9-x^2}} \int_{1}^{5-y} dzdydx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int_{-3}^3 \int_{-\sqrt{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt{9-x^2}} (4-y) dydx
    [/tex]

At this point I start to get lost. Should I switch it to polar coordinates? I tried to do that from the last step above and it came out wrong. Here's my first step into the polar coordinate switch...

[tex]
    \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (4-rsin\theta)rdrd\theta
    [/tex]

Does this look like I'm headed in the right direction? This chapter is completely confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why change coordinates?

That's a basic integral.

What is [itex]\displaystyle \int(4-y)\,dy\,?[/itex]

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    I'm doing integral[0,2pi], integral[0,3], integral[1,5-rsintheta] of 1 dz r dr dtheta
    Sorry for the mess. Don't know how to display the integral sign. I got 36 pi.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4
    Yeah, those limits make sense. The answer is [itex]36\pi[/itex], so you got it. My integrals started looking insane so I figured -rightly- that I was doing something wrong. Thanks.

Have any general advice for finding the limits? That seems to be my biggest weak-point.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    I know that basic integral, but the limits around it make it really intimidating because you'd have to end up using trig-subs. Right? (Thanks for the help, btw)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook