1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume via Triple Integrals.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    The solid enclosed by the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 9[/itex] and the planes y + z = 5 and z=1.

The biggest part for me (usually) is just being able to find my limits of integration for these problems (any suggestions about that would also be greatly appreciated). I think I found the correct limits for this problem...

[tex]
    \iiint dV
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int_{-3}^3 \int_{-\sqrt{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt{9-x^2}} \int_{1}^{5-y} dzdydx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int_{-3}^3 \int_{-\sqrt{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt{9-x^2}} (4-y) dydx
    [/tex]

At this point I start to get lost. Should I switch it to polar coordinates? I tried to do that from the last step above and it came out wrong. Here's my first step into the polar coordinate switch...

[tex]
    \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (4-rsin\theta)rdrd\theta
    [/tex]

Does this look like I'm headed in the right direction? This chapter is completely confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why change coordinates?

That's a basic integral.

What is [itex]\displaystyle \int(4-y)\,dy\,?[/itex]

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    I'm doing integral[0,2pi], integral[0,3], integral[1,5-rsintheta] of 1 dz r dr dtheta
    Sorry for the mess. Don't know how to display the integral sign. I got 36 pi.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4
    Yeah, those limits make sense. The answer is [itex]36\pi[/itex], so you got it. My integrals started looking insane so I figured -rightly- that I was doing something wrong. Thanks.

Have any general advice for finding the limits? That seems to be my biggest weak-point.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    I know that basic integral, but the limits around it make it really intimidating because you'd have to end up using trig-subs. Right? (Thanks for the help, btw)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook