Volume of Region Bounded by x^2-y^2=16, y=0, x=8, about y-axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a region bounded by a curve, a horizontal line, and a vertical line using the washer method. The correct bounds for integration are determined, taking into account the horizontal line as well as the curve. The volume is calculated using the formula for the area of a washer and the correct bounds, resulting in a final answer of $144\pi/5$. The conversation also touches on a related problem and clarifies that rotating the region around a different axis would result in a different volume.
Dethrone
Region bounded by \(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=16, y=0, x=8\), about y-axis

Integrating with respect to y, my lower and upper bounds are $-4\sqrt{3}$ and $+4\sqrt{3}$, respectively.

\(\displaystyle V=\pi \int_{-4\sqrt{3}}^{4\sqrt{3}} 64-(16+y^2)\,dy\)
\(\displaystyle =2\pi \int_{0}^{4\sqrt{3}} 48-y^2\,dy\)
\(\displaystyle =2\pi (192\sqrt{3})\)
\(\displaystyle =256\pi\)

My textbook answer says the answer is $128\pi$, but I have a hunch that it's wrong because it probably also assumed that the curve was bounded by x=0, which it is not.

Not sure if this is a new feature, but I included the graph in spoilers:
[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]x^2-y^2=16;x=8[/desmos]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is double that of your textbook because you did not account for the bounding by $y=0$. :D

If I'm integrating w.r.t y, how can I incorporate the bound y=0 in my calculations? Or will I just have to divide my answer by 2?

I guess I could maybe use a cylindrical shell method using x-bounds to eliminate the issue, but the question specifically asked for the washer method.

Rido12 said:
If I'm integrating w.r.t y, how can I incorporate the bound y=0 in my calculations? Or will I just have to divide my answer by 2?

I guess I could maybe use a cylindrical shell method using x-bounds to eliminate the issue, but the question specifically asked for the washer method.

You would simply use $y=0$ as your lower limit of integration. :D

Whoops! For some reason, I got \(\displaystyle x=0\) and \(\displaystyle y=0\) mixed up. \(\displaystyle y=0\) is the horizontal line...and I was thinking it was the vertical y-axis the whole time...(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

Another related problem:

The region bounded by $y=x^3$, $x=0$, $y=8$, about $x=2$.

Is it referring to the region above the curve, or below the curve?
[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y=x^3;x=0;y=8;x=2[/desmos]

It is referring to the region above the cubic, below the horizontal line and to the right of the $y$-axis.

In which case, wouldn't rotation that about $x=2$ have the same volume as if you were to rotate that about the y-axis?

Constructing washers, we see that the area of a washer:
$$A=\pi [(r_o)^2-(r_i )^2]$$
$$A=\pi [(2)^2-(2-(f(y) )^2]$$
$$A=\pi [(2)^2-(2-y^{1/3} )^2]$$
$$A=\pi [4y^{1/3}-y^{2/3}]$$
$$V=\pi [4y^{1/3}-y^{2/3}] dy$$

Calculating the volume of all the washers:

$$V=\pi \int_{0}^{8}[4y^{1/3}-y^{2/3}] \,dy$$
$$=\frac{144\pi}{5}$$

I've answered my own question, no, they wouldn't have the same area. I'm having a bad day today, (Rain). I did it the right way the first time but made an arithmetic error, forcing me to believe that the area they're looking for was under $y=x^3$. Thanks again, Mark!

1. What is the "Volume Via Washer Method"?

The "Volume Via Washer Method" is a mathematical technique used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape, such as a cylinder or cone, by integrating the cross-sectional area of the shape with respect to the axis of rotation.

2. How is the "Volume Via Washer Method" different from other volume calculation methods?

The "Volume Via Washer Method" differs from other methods, such as the disk method or shell method, because it uses washers (or rings) instead of disks or shells to approximate the shape of the object being rotated. This allows for more accurate calculations for irregularly shaped objects.

3. What are the steps for using the "Volume Via Washer Method"?

The steps for using the "Volume Via Washer Method" are as follows:
1. Identify the shape being rotated and the axis of rotation.
2. Determine the limits of integration for the axis of rotation.
3. Find the radius of each washer at a given point along the axis of rotation.
4. Calculate the area of each washer using the formula A = πr^2.
5. Integrate the area of the washers from the lower limit to the upper limit of integration.
6. Multiply the integral by π to get the final volume.

4. What are some common applications of the "Volume Via Washer Method"?

The "Volume Via Washer Method" is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the volume of objects with irregular shapes, such as pipes, tanks, and other containers. It is also used in calculus courses to teach students about integration and solid geometry.

5. What are some limitations of the "Volume Via Washer Method"?

While the "Volume Via Washer Method" is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to calculate the volume of objects with a continuous cross-sectional area, and it may not be accurate for highly irregular shapes. Additionally, it can be more complex and time-consuming to use compared to other volume calculation methods.