Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume vs Temperature

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    What are two aspects in which the volume expansion of liquids and the volume expansion of gases due to a temperature change vary?

Answer:
    One of the aspects is that gases can be more easily heated than liquids. This is because there are intermolecular forces (Van Der Waals interactions) holding the molecules in a liquid together. Therefore, it would take energy to break these intermolecular bonds making liquids harder to heat than gases. In gases, there are also intermolecular forces; however the distance between the molecules is so great that the intermolecular forces are considered negligible. The second aspect is that in a liquid, a change in temperature is directly proportional to a change in volume. While a change in temperature of a gas is not directly proportional to change in volume in a liquid.

Could you please tell me if my answer is correct because I think that it is not> And could you explain to me what is the answer then. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

At constant pressure, the volume change is directly proportional to the temperature change for a gas... so you need a bit of qualification there.
    There is no need to break intermolecular forces, nor assume them negligible for a gas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted