Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume vs Temperature

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    What are two aspects in which the volume expansion of liquids and the volume expansion of gases due to a temperature change vary?

One of the aspects is that gases can be more easily heated than liquids. This is because there are intermolecular forces (Van Der Waals interactions) holding the molecules in a liquid together. Therefore, it would take energy to break these intermolecular bonds making liquids harder to heat than gases. In gases, there are also intermolecular forces; however the distance between the molecules is so great that the intermolecular forces are considered negligible. The second aspect is that in a liquid, a change in temperature is directly proportional to a change in volume. While a change in temperature of a gas is not directly proportional to change in volume in a liquid.

Could you please tell me if my answer is correct because I think that it is not> And could you explain to me what is the answer then. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At constant pressure, the volume change is directly proportional to the temperature change for a gas... so you need a bit of qualification there.
    There is no need to break intermolecular forces, nor assume them negligible for a gas.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted