1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume with triple integral

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume between the plane x+y+z = 1 and the xy-plane, for x+y[itex]\leq[/itex]2, x[itex]\geq[/itex]0, y[itex]\geq[/itex]0.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, the plane is above the xy-plane for y < 1-x and below the xy-plane for y > 1-x, so we'll need two integrals. This is how I set them up.

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1-x}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1-x-y}_{0}[/itex]1dzdydx - [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2-x}_{1-x}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1-x-y}_{0}[/itex]1dzdydx

This gives me an answer of 7/6, but my book has 1 as the answer. I'm assuming my setup is wrong, since I checked the evaluation of the integrals in wolfram alpha. But I can't see what I did wrong. The innermost integrals give z-value of the given plane. The middle integrals sum those stacks from 0 to 1-x above the xy-plane and from 1-x to 2-x below the xy-plane. And then the outermost integrals sum those slices from the y axis to the boundary at 0=1-x and 0=2-x respectively.

Help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    Weird. I tried evaluating your integrals, and I got (1/6)-(-3)=(19/6).

See what you get by evaluating the second integral again. I don't know if I made a mistake or not.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    Try drawing a picture of the volume that you're trying to find. When I took multi-V, I noticed that helped me visualize the question better, which is essential to setting up your integral equation.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The dydx portion of your second integral needs to be broken into two sections. y goes from 1-x to 2-x only when x is between 0 and 1. When x is between 1 and 2 y goes from 0 to 2-x. Draw a picture of y = 1-x and y = 2-x in the xy plane and you will see it.

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5
    Nice going.

7. Nov 21, 2011 #6
    AHA! Thank you! I actually had already drawn the picture, but I've been staring at it forever without noticing that! Now I feel dumb. I'm kind of in a studying binge and I think I'm starting to burn out a bit. Thank you though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook