Volumes of Revolution Word Problem

In summary: Integrate over y, from y = r/√2 to r. :smile:(If in doubt as to whether it's sin or tan, draw a diagram!)when i do this, i am getting very large numbers, larger even then the actual volume of the earth. I'm not sure what's going on.The integral you might be using, which seems to beV = \pi\int_{\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}}^r (124500\pi - y^2)dydoesn't look right. You may have simplified wrong; from where did you get 124500\pi?… let's see …
xcgirl

Homework Statement

Assume that the Earth is a sphere with circumference of 24,900 miles.
a. Find the volume of the Earth north of latitude 45 degrees. (hint: integrate with respect to y)
b. Find the volume of the Earth between the equator and latitude 45

Homework Equations

circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so far, I have just been working on A. I took a cross section of the sphere from latitude 45 and up and drew it on a graph. I realized that if i revolved it around the y-axis that it would form the shape I need, a dome.

I found the radius using the circumference and set up my integral.
i have: pi * int(124500pi - y^2 dy after simplifying.

I think I'm all set to integrate and find the answer, but I can't figure out what to use for the upper and lower bounds. I thought i might try and use sin(45) or cos(45) or tan(45), in some way, but I can't really wrap my head around the problem from this point forward.

Physics news on Phys.org
… avoid using huge numbers … !

xcgirl said:
i have: pi * int(124500pi - y^2 dy after simplifying.

I think I'm all set to integrate and find the answer, but I can't figure out what to use for the upper and lower bounds. I thought i might try and use sin(45) or cos(45) or tan(45), in some way, but I can't really wrap my head around the problem from this point forward.

Hi xcgirl! :smile:

Hint: with big numbers like this, just put the radius = r throughout the calculation, and then put the number for r in at the end - you're much less likely to make a mistake (like forgetting to square something!) - and you won't have five-digit limits for the integral sign!

Yes, your approach seems fine.

Integrate over y, from y = r/√2 to r. :smile:

(If in doubt as to whether it's sin or tan, draw a diagram!)

when i do this, i am getting very large numbers, larger even then the actual volume of the earth. I'm not sure what's going on.

The integral you might be using, which seems to be

[tex]V = \pi\int_{\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}}^r (124500\pi - y^2)dy[/tex]

doesn't look right. You may have simplified wrong; from where did you get [itex]124500\pi[/itex]?

… let's see …

xcgirl said:
when i do this, i am getting very large numbers, larger even then the actual volume of the earth. I'm not sure what's going on.

Hi xcgirl! :smile:

Show us the integral you used, before putting any numbers in (ie just using r), so we can see what is going wrong. :smile:

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP103319a0269e42g61e9e00000ga3250hih542d42?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=35&w=114&h=48
This is the integral I used and I get 1.6376*10^12 miles cubed which doesn't seem right.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Earth were a cube 8000 miles on each side, its volume would be (8,000)3 mi3 = 512 x 109 mi3 = 5.12 x 1011 mi3. Being roughly spherical, the Earth would fit inside such a box, so its volume would be less than this. That makes the value too big by maybe two orders of magnitude, since you're calculating the volume above 45 degrees N.

What is a "Volume of Revolution Word Problem"?

A volume of revolution word problem is a type of math problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

How do you solve a "Volume of Revolution Word Problem"?

To solve a volume of revolution word problem, you first need to identify the shape being rotated and the axis of rotation. Then, you can use the appropriate formula (such as the disk or shell method) to calculate the volume of the resulting shape.

What are the common shapes used in "Volume of Revolution Word Problems"?

The most common shapes used in volume of revolution word problems are circles, rectangles, and triangles. However, any two-dimensional shape can be used as long as it is rotated around a specific axis.

What is the difference between the "Disk Method" and the "Shell Method"?

The disk method involves calculating the volume of thin disks stacked on top of each other to approximate the volume of the shape. The shell method, on the other hand, involves calculating the volume of thin cylindrical shells that make up the shape. The method used depends on the shape being rotated and the axis of rotation.

Why are "Volume of Revolution Word Problems" important in science?

Volume of revolution word problems are important in science because they allow us to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional shapes, which is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. These problems also require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in the scientific process.