1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Revolution

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Volumes of Revolution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the volume of region A in the first quadrant that is inclosed in the parabola 2x(2-x) and the x-axis, of which is rotated around the axis y = -2.

2. Relevant equations y=(4+2x^2) y= -2 piS(from 0 to 2) (R^2 - r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution piS(0 to 2)(4x + 2x^2 +2)^2 + (2^2)
    piS(0 to 2) (4x^4 + 16x^3 + 24x^2 + 8x + 4) = (4x^3/3 + 16x^4/4 + 24x^3/3 + 8x^2/2 + 4x)|(0 to 2) from this you can plug in 2 to get 158pi obviously this is too large to be the area thus my dilemma. any help is appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you've written is extremely hard to read- even after I figured out that "S" indicates the integral.

In any case you can do this by "washers". For each x, between 0 and 2, the upper boundary is y=2x(2-x)= 4x- 2x2. That's the distance from a point on the upper boundary to the y-axis. It's distance from y= -2 is 4x- 2x2+ 2 and that is the radius of the circle it makes about the line y= -2. The area of the disk it sweeps out is [itex]\pi(2+ 4x- 2x^2)^2[/itex]. The "inner disk" is swept out by points on the x-axis which has constant distance 2 from y= -2. It's area is [itex]4\pi[/itex]. Taking "dx" to represent the thickness, the volume of each washer is [itex]\pi ((2+ 4x- 2x^2)^2- 4)dx[/itex] and so the integral is
    [tex]\pi \int_0^2 (2+ 4x- 2x^2)^2- 4)dx= \pi\int_0^2 4x^4- 16x^3+ 8x^2+ 16x dx[/tex]. I get 224/15.-

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    thanks a lot, sorry about the difficulty you had while reading this. How do you right out the equations like you have it? I would like to be able to do that so my posts later on are more clear. Thanks again for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?