Volumes of Revolution: Disk vs. Shell Method Explained

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a given region about the x-axis. The person initially used the disk method and got an answer of \frac{3\pi}{4}. They then tried the shell method, but made a mistake in the length of the shell. They eventually realized their mistake and found the correct answer by breaking the shell integral into two parts.
LHC
I've encountered a weird problem in my text...somewhat by accident =P

My text only covers volumes of revolution through the disk method, and one of the questions was:

Find the volume of the solid obtained when the given region is rotated about the x-axis.

c) Under y = 1/x from 1 to 4

Using the disk method, I got the answer [tex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]...

Ok, so I wonder...what happens if I try the shell/rings method?

So this is what I do:

I thought that the radius of such shells would be the height of the function, so it would be "y". And, the length of such shells would be the distance from the function to the line x = 1, ...so (1/y - 1)...

Because of that, I ended up trying this:

[tex]V = \int_{0}^{1} 2\pi \ y\ (\frac{1}{y} - 1) dy [/tex]

This turns out to yield [tex]\pi[/tex]

I'm so confused right now haha...could someone please tell me what I did wrong? Either my shell method was wrong, or the disk method was...or...both =S...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just found out that I get the answer if I do this:

[tex]
V = \int_{\frac{1}{4}}^{1} 2\pi \ y\ (\frac{1}{y} - 1) dy + \pi \times (\frac{1}{4})^2 \times 3 [/tex]

And that's basically taking shells from y = 1/4 to y = 1, then adding that cylinder that's left behind (from x = 1 to x = 1, and from y = 0 to y = 1/4).

So...that made sense. But can anyone tell me why my shell method previously described in the original post was wrong?

Your shell integral needs to be broken into two parts. For y<1/4 the length of the shell isn't (1/y-1), it's just 3.

Ohhh...*LED above head suddenly flickers*...I get it. I had the wrong length of the shell! Thanks for explaining that to me. =D

What is a Volume of Revolution?

A Volume of Revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This creates a solid shape with a certain volume that can be calculated using specific mathematical formulas.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution is V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx, where π is pi, a and b are the limits of integration, and f(x) is the equation of the curve being rotated.

Can any two-dimensional shape be rotated to create a Volume of Revolution?

Yes, any two-dimensional shape can be rotated around an axis to create a Volume of Revolution. However, the shape must be continuous and have a defined closed boundary in order for the volume to be calculated.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a surface of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a surface of revolution is a two-dimensional shape created by rotating a one-dimensional curve around an axis. The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated, while the surface area of a surface of revolution can be calculated.

What real-life applications use Volumes of Revolution?

Volumes of Revolution have many real-life applications, including finding the volume of objects such as bottles, cans, and vases. They are also used in engineering and construction to calculate the volume of curved structures such as pipes and bridges.