Find Volume of Revolution by Integrating 1/sqroot(3x+2) around x=0 and x=2

In summary, a volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. The volume of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, and any two-dimensional shape can be used. There are two methods for finding the volume of revolution: the disk method and the shell method, both of which have various real-world applications in fields such as engineering and physics.
DeanBH
so i have y = 1/sqroot(3x+2)

find volume when rotated around x, regions are x=2 and x=0

equation needed: V= integral Pi*y^2*dx

so.

i do intergral pi* (1/sqroot(3x+2))^2 * dx

so i get pi integral 1/(3x+2) dx

so how do i integrate 1/sqroot(3x+2) ?

can someone take me though it , because i know there's meant to be a constant near the ln, but i don't know how to find it.

thanks, sorry if it's explained bad

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting u=3x+2

To integrate 1/sqroot(3x+2), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 3x+2, then du/dx = 3 and dx = du/3. Substituting this into the integral, we get:

V = pi integral 1/u^(1/2) * (1/3) du

= (pi/3) integral u^(-1/2) du

= (pi/3) * 2u^(1/2) + C

= (2pi/3) * (3x+2)^(1/2) + C

Now, since we are rotating around the x-axis, we need to find the volume between x=0 and x=2. So, we plug in these values into the equation:

V = (2pi/3) * (3(2)+2)^(1/2) - (2pi/3) * (3(0)+2)^(1/2)

= (2pi/3) * (8)^(1/2) - (2pi/3) * (2)^(1/2)

= (2pi/3) * 2^(1/2) - (2pi/3) * (2)^(1/2)

= (2pi/3) * (2^(1/2) - 1)

= (2pi/3) * (2 - 1)

= (2pi/3) * 1

= 2pi/3

Therefore, the volume of revolution is 2pi/3 cubic units.

What is a volume of revolution?

A volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This can be visualized as a solid object with a circular cross-section.

How do you calculate the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, where π is the constant pi, f(x) is the function that describes the rotated shape, and the integral is taken over the range of x values.

What types of shapes can be used to create volumes of revolution?

Any two-dimensional shape can be used to create a volume of revolution, as long as it is rotated around an axis. Common shapes used include circles, rectangles, triangles, and even more complex curves.

What is the difference between a disk method and a shell method in finding volumes of revolution?

The disk method involves slicing the rotated shape into thin disks and adding up their volumes, while the shell method involves slicing the shape into thin cylindrical shells and adding up their volumes. The choice between the methods depends on the shape and the axis of rotation, but both methods will yield the same volume.

How is the volume of revolution used in real-world applications?

The volume of revolution has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to calculate the volume of objects such as pipes, cones, and bottles, and to analyze rotational motion and fluid dynamics.