1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes Of Revolution

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    As part of an assignment on Approximating Areas and Volume I am asked to derive the equation shown in the image attached.

The question reads: "It can be shown that if y = f(x) is revolved around the x-axis to form a solid between x=a and x=b then the volume of the solid is give by the equation shown in the image.

Some equations I have been using are basic area forumla such as
    Area (trapezium) = 1/2(a+b)xh

I have also attempted to derive the forumula by looking at the Trapezoidal Rule and Simpson's Method and working backward to derive the formula.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2
    As you rotate a cross section of the curve around the axis, it forms a cylinder, with radius y=f(x). and a thickness of δx.

The volume of that cylinder is given by:
    A=[itex]\pi[/itex]y2 δx

As the thickness of the cylinder approaches zero and you add (integrate) all the volumes of the reaaaaaly thin cylinders.
    That gives the expression:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]f(x)2dx

I'm not quite sure how to put the limits in, but they are from a to b.

I hope that helped!

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}{\pi \left(f(x)\right)^2} dx[/itex]

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4
    Hi,
    Use two fonctions y=mx for a to b and y=k for b to c

add the result and multiply by two.

Attached Files:

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, that should be,

The volume of that cylinder is given by:
    A*δx = [itex]\pi[/itex]y2 δx

7. Jul 11, 2011 #6
    Thanks All, But how to we actually get from A=πy2 δx to ∫πf(x)2dx
    How does the area become the volume?

8. Jul 11, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A is the area of a circle with radius y & y = f(x). That radius goes from the x-axis, vertically up to the graph y = f(x). Multiplying times δx (delta-x) gives the volume of a very thin circular disk of thickness δx . The integral from x=a to x=b indicates that the volume of a series of such disk is summed to give the total volume of the solid of revolution.

9. Jul 11, 2011 #8
    The definition of an integral is adding ([itex]\sum[/itex]) very skinny things (lim[itex]\delta[/itex] x-->0) between two points.

If you are finding the area under a curve, you integrate between two points and are adding skinny rectangles (with almost no width i.e[itex]\delta[/itex]x), which are practically adding lines. (you just add the heights [itex]\int[/itex]ydx)

With volumes, in this case, you are adding skinny cylinders, until the cylinder becomes practically a circle. (you just add the areas of those circles [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]y2dx)

Adding lines gives an area
    Adding areas gives a volume (just imagine adding all the areas of the pages of a book to get its volume)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook