Calculating Volume of Revolutions in a Glass Chamber with Water Using Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a glass chamber that is divided into two parts, with the outer part filled with water and the inner part empty. It is modeled by two equations and has a height of 0.9m and a width of 1m. The conversation then goes on to find the total volume of the chamber and calculates it to be 185,064.4144 cm^3. The conversation also discusses finding the constant rate of flow to fill the chamber in 20 minutes.
ultima9999
There is a glass chamber that is to be filled with water. The chamber is divided into two parts, the outer being filled with water and the inner being empty. The chamber is such that a person can stand inside without getting wet.
It is modeled by the equations [tex]f(x) = \frac{243}{1820x^2} - \frac{243}{1820} \mbox{and} g(x) = \frac{2}{3}f(x) = \frac{486}{5460x^2} - \frac{486}{5460}[/tex]

The chamber has a height of 0.9m and a width of 1m, as shown in the attached image.

1. Find the total volume to fill the flask in cubic cm.

Alright, so what I did was rearrange each equation into terms of y as the solid is revolved around the y-axis.
Therefore:
[tex]f(y) = \sqrt{\frac{243}{1820\left(y + \frac{243}{1820}\right)}}[/tex]
[tex]g(y) = \sqrt{\frac{486}{5460 \left(y + \frac{486}{5460}\right)}}[/tex]

To find the volume, it is upper bound - lower bound, so:
[tex]V = \pi\int_{0}^{0.9} \left(\frac{243}{1820\left(y + \frac{243}{1820}\right)}\right) - \left(\frac{486}{5460\left(y + \frac{486}{5460}\right)}\right) dy[/tex]

It is at this point that I am stuck. I have tried to rearrange into one fraction, but then I am unable to integrate it. Maybe somebody could shed some light as to what I could do, or a simpler way of going about this? Thanks.

Attachments

• chamber.JPG
    chamber.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that [tex]\int\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}dx=\ln\midf(x)\mid+c[/tex], provided f(x) is of order of 1.

Can I just split that into two separate integrals and then mulitply the answer by [tex]\pi[/tex]?

If so, after simplifying I get:
[tex]V = \pi\left[\left(\frac{243}{1820}ln\left(\frac{1881}{243}\right)\right) - \left(\frac{486}{5460}ln\left(\frac{5400}{486}\right)\right)\right] = 185,064.4144 cm^3[/tex]

Yes, you can do that but make sure you change the name of the function to other than [tex]V(y)[/tex] before multiplying the answer by [tex]\pi[/tex].

Yes, the answer is correct. [tex]V=1.85\times10^5\ cm^3[/tex]

Excellent. I now to have find the constant rate of flow if the chamber is to fill in 20 min. Would that just be [tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{185,064.4144}{20}[/tex]?

Is my last post correct?

1. How do you calculate the volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water?

The volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water can be calculated using the equation V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the chamber, and h is the height of the water.

2. What is the significance of calculating volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water?

Calculating the volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water is important for understanding the amount of water that can be held in the chamber and how it may impact other factors such as pressure and flow rate.

3. How does the shape of the chamber affect the calculation of volume of revolutions?

The shape of the chamber is a key factor in calculating the volume of revolutions. The equation assumes a cylindrical shape, so if the chamber has a different shape, a different equation may need to be used.

4. Are there any other factors that may impact the calculation of volume of revolutions?

Yes, other factors such as the temperature of the water and any obstructions or irregularities in the chamber may also affect the calculation of volume of revolutions.

5. Can the volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water be calculated using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a measuring cylinder or displacement method that can also be used to calculate the volume of revolutions in a glass chamber with water. However, using equations can provide a more accurate and efficient calculation.