1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes, Strang

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    I have a simple question on the set-up of a triangular prism.

Strang, Ch. 8: Applications of the Integral

pdf page 4 (bottom) and correlates with example 5 on pdf page 5

How is he getting the length of [tex]1-\frac x h[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2

Look at the last figure on 8.3. 6(1-x/h)^2 is the area of a cross section at x. The line going through the height of each triangle is H = 3(1 - x/h). Using similar triangles the base of each triangle is B = 4(1-x/h). Thus, area = A(x) = 1/2*B*H = 6(1-x/h)^2. The volume is then obtained by adding together all the areas of each cross section which is the integral of A(x) from x = 0 to x =h.
  4. May 29, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The bottom leg of the triangular section has a length of 4(1-x/h) and the side leg is 3(1-x/h).
  5. May 29, 2008 #4
    That is a length, he says so in the next page. I don't get how he's setting it up by using similar triangles.

My main confusion comes from the 1 minus part, and the x/h part makes sense to me by just looking at the figures and what happens when x=0 & x=h.
  6. May 29, 2008 #5

The slope of the line is -3/h and it intersects the z axis at z = 3. Thus z = -3/h*x + 3 = 3(1 - x/h). Let y be the base. 3/y*(1-x/h) = 3/4 by similar triangles. Solving for y, y= 4(1-x/h).
  7. May 29, 2008 #6
    Oh that's easy! Lol, I didn't even think about that. Thanks Vid :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?