1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes: The Disk Method

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Volumes: The Disk Method [Resolved]

1. If the area bounded by the parabola y = H - (H/R[tex]^{2}[/tex])x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the x-axis is revolved about the y-axis, the resulting bullet-shaped solid is a segment of a paraboloid of revolition with height H and radius of base R. Show its volume is half the volume of the circumscribing cylinder

Okay so the thickness of the disk is dy and the area is [tex]\pi[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]. How do I find the limits of intergration and put x in terms of H and R? Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Your disks run from y = 0 to y = H.
    The incremental volume of each disk is [tex]\pi x^2 \Delta y[/tex]. For any point (x, y) on the parabola, you have a relationship between x and y, so use this relationship to replace x^2.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    So x^2 = y-H(-R^2/H) and then run that from 0 to H?
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

sounds good, what do you get when you integrate that?
  7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    I feel like an idiot but I'm having trouble integrating this. Can someone get me started on it? Thanks.
  8. Nov 9, 2008 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\int_0^H \pi x^2 dy= \int_0^H \pi (y-H)(\frac{-R^2}{H}) dy =\frac{\pi R^2}{H} \int_0^H (H-y)dy[/tex]

....surely, you know how to integrate this?
  9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    wooow. there's something wrong with me. So I ended up with the volume of a cylinder over 2. Which is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?