Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumetric estimation of iron(II)ions

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    Hi ppl, I have an electrochemisry question. Explain why dilute sulphuric acid, rather than dilute hydrochloric acid, is used as a source of hydrogen ions in the volumetric estimation of iron (II) ions with potassium manganate (VII).
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think a difference would be present when you substitute sulfuric acid with hydrochloric acid. The redox reaction is as follows:

[tex]5 Fe^{2+} + MnO_4^- + 8 H^+ \rightarrow 5Fe^{3+} + Mn^{2+} + 4 H_2O[/tex]

Here, you can substitute any anion for sulfate, providing that the acid is strong enough to react with permanganate to form water.
  4. Mar 14, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Two things may happen in the presence od hydrochloric acid.

First, [tex]KMnO_4[/tex] is able to oxidize [tex]Cl^-[/tex] to [tex]Cl_2[/tex]. Thus you will get a positive error in your determination result.

Second, [tex]Cl^-[/tex] anions will react with [tex]Fe^{3+}[/tex] anions to produce yellowish complex. This will make determination of end point more difficult and it will change redox potential of [tex]Fe^{2+}/Fe^{3+}[/tex] system. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
    BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  5. Mar 14, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I totally agree with this one. I think I will give away my "guru" title this year to someone deserving it better than me. Great work, Borek! :approve:
  6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nah, keep it, you've contributed a fair amount to the forum; in addition, you're the only chemical researcher we have this forum. Share with us what you've learned so far, enlighten us guru;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?